1999 Tahoe Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
pedub

pedub

Reaction score
Thanks for all the reply's, I feel Better about towing now, if it goes in and out of OD I will run in 3rd, this boat and trailer don't weigh much, just wanted to see what you Guys thought. Thanks again

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... feel better about towing now.
If it goes in and out of OD I will run in 3rd, this boat and trailer don't weigh much ...
Is your axle gear 4.10, 3.73, or 3.42 (or even less)?

4.10, if the engine RpM in 4th is kept OVER 1250RpM, may be okay to be in 4th.
3.73, if the engine RpM in 4th is kept OVER 1500RpM, may be okay to be in 4th.
3.42, if the engine RpM in 4th is kept OVER 1750RpM, may be okay to be in 4th.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya my 97 towed an 04 f150 (heavier version) for quite a distance with no real problems except for the larger hills.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It does neither of those things.
Only way to prevent 4th is to use the shifter to do so.

Tow / Haul mode will not use 4th anywhere near as readily or as often as Normal mode, but it will use 4th.
Tow / Haul mode will not lock the TCC as often as Normal mode, but it will lock it - more likely in 3rd than 4th.

When Normal mode prefers 4th, Tow / Haul mode will more likely use 3rd.
When Normal mode prefers 3rd, Tow / Haul mode will more likely use 2nd.

Normal shift mode prioritizes MpGs over drivetrain durability under heavy load, assuming a very light load.
Tow / Haul mode sacrifices MpGs to protect the transmission, assuming a heavy load.
I tried the Tow/Haul mode today, without any load in the back (trailer or cargo). It didn't upshift to 3rd until I was at 60 km/h (that's 40 mph for you guys south of the 49th), and the torque converter did lock up, bringing the rpms to about 1500. Once I got up to 70 km/h (about 40 mph), I couldn't get the torque converter to lock up, and I remained in 3rd. I wasn't on the freeway, so I didn't want to take it up to 80 km/h (50 mph) today. I do recall that it will go into 4th without any load (trailer or weight in the back) at higher speeds.

Overall when using Tow/Haul, it seems to prefer upshifts at around 3000 rpm. On our next camping trip, I'll see how long it prefers to stay in 3rd, whether it will upshift to 4th at 3000 rpm or not. My guess is that as long as you don't exceed 60 mph, the transmission will normally stay in 3rd.

That said, it's probably a good idea to keep the shift lever in 3rd while towing anyway.

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, while we're on this, I have a small tractor, referred to as a SCUT. Bare weight is around 1800 pounds with the filled tires. I do not have a trailer, so would have to rent a U-Haul 5 x 10 or so, maybe a 6 x 12.

I will not have to haul very often, only if it needs to go to the dealer about 80 miles away over mostly flat rural roads, with a few low rolling hills.

Do I have anything to be concerned about?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879