1999 ppv hard for it to turn over/voltage drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cpurp31

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’ve replaced the started 3 times on this and it is a pain in the ass for it to turn over if I had recently just shut it off and try to start it back up.
Also when going around 55mph+ it seems like it misfires or hesitates from time to time. And occasionally when I’m driving it will run like complete crap backfiring and missing

Last edited:

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Load test the battery with the cables disconnected to verify it’s a good battery. Auto parts stores do this free if you don’t have your own tester.

Check all the battery cable ends for corrosion or loose.

Check the grounds. Lots of problems reported.

And check the positive cable is tight at the starter. Likely not the problem since (you? Or someone else?) it’s been changed.

If you have someone knowledgeable with a voltmeter they can easily test the voltage drop at the battery; between the battery positive and the starter; and between the battery negative and the engine block and give you a firm diagnosis in minutes.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
What brand starter, and where did you get it from? New or rebuilt? Sometimes those cheap off brands are worthless--even when "new".

stevedonato

Reaction score
OP
OP
C

Cpurp31

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Load test the battery with the cables disconnected to verify it’s a good battery. Auto parts stores do this free if you don’t have your own tester.

Check all the battery cable ends for corrosion or loose.

Check the grounds. Lots of problems reported.

And check the positive cable is tight at the starter. Likely not the problem since (you? Or someone else?) it’s been changed.

If you have someone knowledgeable with a voltmeter they can easily test the voltage drop at the battery; between the battery positive and the starter; and between the battery negative and the engine block and give you a firm diagnosis in minutes.
Thank you. I’m on it now