1998 Suburban C2500 Towing Performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

norcalboon

Reaction score
Thinking about towing my 7K TT with a 1998 C2500 Suburban 2WD with the 7.4L, any real world experience? Rated to 8,500 with the 3.73, will it struggle up hills? How is general reliability of the 7.4L big block? Anyone know the rear axle weight rating for these, and are they full or semi float? Appreciate any comments or feedback.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
97 tahoe with the 5.7 towing right near its rated limit (6000 i think) and had no issues at all. id imagine with the big block you would have plenty of power to handle an extra 1000lbs or so. i used to transport and deliver rv trailers of various ridiculous sizes with nothing more than a 2500 with the big block and all it had was an upgraded exhaust upgrade on it. As for the rest of your questions im unsure. Was the work truck and they had it before i started working there. had plenty of miles on it already and we weren't nice to it. only problem i ever recall while pulling with it was the seal went on the oil filter adapter. that and we used to get pulled over in ny frequently because it was too loud lol.

iCajun

Reaction score
Had a 99 K2500 Suburban with the 454 and towed various trailers through Kentucky and Tennessee, thought it did well. I consider the 454 very reliable, though the oil pressure sensor is a pain to change.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will like the 7.4 as long as you don't mind visiting the gas stations. The semi- float is standard axle, if center of axle protrudes about 3-4 inches 3 in dia. thats full floating.

iCajun

Reaction score
Plan on 12-13 mpg with a 454. interstate, cruise control, no trailer. Not terrible for 6500 lbs shaped like a brick. Plan on 8 mpg fully loaded, towing and doing what it was designed to do.

Makulit

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My father has a 99. Built like a tank. The powerband reminds me a lot of my old dodge 12valve 1ton. I've read on the forums of others with the L29 (454 for that gen) having issues keeping it cool. My fathers has the opposite problem, his is extremely cold blooded. So much so that I don't trust the gauge. If your using it for towing and bringing the family, you should be happy. Only problem may be an extreme shortage of cup holders.

GoToGuyRon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
First look at the drivers door jam for vehicle weights and limits, net and gross. Check the info printed in glove box. Do you have the "trailer , towing options"? Suburbans and Tahoes don't come with full floating axles ( maybe real old 60's). Can confirm your axle type by just looking at the rear end cover. 1500 most likely 10 bolt cover. 2500 probably 12 bolt cover. If it is a14 bolt cover, it is still semi -floating but stronger than the 12 bolt. Sububans and Tahoes are limited by there Engineering. They were built with alot of stock weight. And they were not designed as heavy pack mules. Trailer wt limits are based on towing vehicle carrying capacity and maximum braking efficiency. Your normal big big block isn't your limiting factor. It wil probably be your gross capacity, checked trans fluid lately?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick