Looking at 2016+ Suburban/Yukon XL, lots of questions!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
N

NIevo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 2018+ RST has 6.2 w/ 10spd

but yukon 2016+ , look for 6spd or 10spd (on newer ones) over the 8spd w/ 6.2

That sucks, can't afford an RST but found a few 2016-17 Denali's that were around $40k. Has there been any solution for the 8 speed issues? Might just have to do the 5.3 and mod it.

Matt Baller

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We previously had a 2004 Tahoe that was ok, but started having a lot of little issues and was getting up over 100k. Picked up a brand new Durango R/T in 2015 and love it but with 4 kids, lots of sports and quite a bit of towing it's getting a little on the small side.

Recently we've been talking about getting into a bigger SUV and the Suburban/Yukon is obviously at the top of the short list. I've done a but of researching and looking around but have several questions pertaining to our usage and any insight from owners.

We aren't huge on super fancy interiors with all the bells and whistles but we wouldn't turn one down if it had it. Reliability is important which is why I kinda ruled out 15's and leaning more toward '17's and up. Can't afford a brand new one right now and would like to keep it around $40k or less. 4wd and towing are 2 things of most importance. Some question:

What towing options did the vehicles come with in recent years? I know they are rated at 8300ish lbs but anything change that with different options or make it easier/harder? We have a 27' TT that sits at around 6500-7k when we tow.

Any packages to really watch for and try to get or avoid?

6.2l would be great but think it might be out of our price range. Does the 5.3l and tranny in these respond well to mods if we go that route and want to pick up a little extra power for towing?

What are people seeing for real world mileage with the 5.3 or the 6.2? Our Durango is amazing and with the 5.7 will consistently get 22-23mpg with all of us in it but quickly drops to 9-10 when towing.

Anything else to consider when looking or that we should look at?

Thanks!
I have a 2016 6.2 and I have had bad experiences with the dealership and GM from the day I took ownership, I had the CAM replaced at 23K ,running board replaced at 25K, trans problems at 48K that GM sent me a service letter and the dealership wants me to pay a diagnostic fee when I have a letter that it is a problem and I am supposed to have 100K powertrain warranty WTF !! At 48k this truck is a rattle trap and I never drive dirt roads. They just do not want to stand behind there vehicles and tell you you have a 100K powertrain warranty but your bumper to bumper has expired so now the rules change and they cover what they wants , which is nothing. Not taking care of issues no matter what they are on a vehicle that cost 65K that is under 50Kmile and 5years is not worth buying. Run away from GM they are not the company they used to be. If they cannot service and treat customers right for the amount of money you spend on a vehicle like this I would suggest a Ford or Lincoln. This is my 4 Yukon but the first since the restructure of GM don't waste your money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kentf3