1985 El Camino

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
No. I drove nearly 500 miles with w rented truck and trailer to look at and trade for what was a good looking car. I thought Indiana roads were bad but the Ohio roads were so rough they actually tripped my dash cam several times.

I took this up as he specifically wanted it.
View attachment 418681

I was going to trade for this.

View attachment 418682
View attachment 418683

I found this.

View attachment 418684
View attachment 418685

Numerous parts had been removed, the "New" engine was a used one from a race car that wasn't up to *****, the solid frame I could poke my finger through and the hood had been a painting work bench. I did run and actually ran pretty decent. The "New" tires were all half flat and weather stained so they would be flat spotted at best. I would have had to strap the hood down as the latch had been removed for some reason.

My PT is a good running, looking and driving car. It needs nothing but someone to enjoy it. The El Camino I could easily visualize a hole opening in the driveway to pour money into.

Basically I rented a truck and trailer and hauled my car for nearly 1000 miles for no reason.

No, I'm not happy.
I'd be pissed. That does happen a lot unfortunately. I bet he was shocked that you drove all that way and you still didn't do the swap with him.

Grady_Wilson

Reaction score
Wow, talk about misrepresenting what the guy was selling.
That really sucks that you're out all that time and money.

It can be so hard to find a decent project car these days.
Stories like your happen far too often in the antique car world.
I have two cars from the 20's and would like to add a few more after I move, but hunting down a decent example is getting harder and harder each year.

OP
OP
grouch

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be pissed. That does happen a lot unfortunately. I bet he was shocked that you drove all that way and you still didn't do the swap with him.

He was talking like it was a done deal until I out some carpet down to crawl under it. Then it was "If I don't sell or trade it...". The car is worth what he's asking with all the parts. It's just more work than I want to deal with, especially the frame rot.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
He was talking like it was a done deal until I out some carpet down to crawl under it. Then it was "If I don't sell or trade it...". The car is worth what he's asking with all the parts. It's just more work than I want to deal with, especially the frame rot.
What an unbelievable waste of time and money. I'm sure something better will come along.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's crazy seller knows your coming and doesn't even have tires aired up.
I probably would of told them to air up tires and get hood held down and I would be back in a few after I get rental filled up with gas and trucked back home and not looked back. I wouldn't of wanted to leave my restored vehicle in that guys hands.

OP
OP
grouch

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's crazy seller knows your coming and doesn't even have tires aired up.
I probably would of told them to air up tires and get hood held down and I would be back in a few after I get rental filled up with gas and trucked back home and not looked back. I wouldn't of wanted to leave my restored vehicle in that guys hands.

I don't do things like that. I've fooled with old cars locally for nearly 50 years. People trust me and that is worth more than just money.

I was definitely not happy. Nearly 1000 miles and several hundred bucks in rental costs, fuel, a motel room and so on. I think if I sell my Dakota, I may just keep the car as its in excellent shape and gets up to 36 mpg. Insuring 4 vehicles is expensive.

Also, the open window isn't rolled down. It's broken.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660