1985 El Camino

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I copied the sellers ad. After trimming, here's a partial list of the parts I'll get with it.

Parts include;

• New Tires – already installed on truck
  • New Steel (REAL) Cowl Induction Hood - New in box
  • New Both complete Door Shells - New in box
  • New Correct Carpet, including for the spare tire area, (Correct Color; “Claret” which is a Winish/Red) - (See Photos) - New in box
  • New Dash Pad - New in box
  • New Threshold Molding Tim (Sill Plates) - New in box
  • New Sill Plate “Fisher Body” Emblems – New in box
  • New Power Door Lock Switches - New in box
  • New Power Window Switches - New in box
  • New Floor Pans – New in boxes
  • New Grille - New in box
  • New Headlight Bezels - New in box -
  • New White SS Stripes and Installation Solution - New in box
  • New License Plate Housing (For Tailgate)- New in box
  • New Door Weatherstrips - New in box
  • New Roof Rail Weatherstrips - New in box
  • New Belt line (Door to Glass Sweeps) Weatherstrips - New in box
  • New Interior Door Pull Kit (Correct Color) - New in box
  • New Tilt Column Cover Kit - New in box
  • New Hood Pins - New in box
  • New Front End Steering/Suspension Parts Kit; All New, New in box
    - Inner Tie Rods
- Outer Tie Rods

- Upper Ball Joints

- Lower Ball Joints

- Sway Bar Links

- Upper Control Arm Bushings

- Lower Control Arm Bushings

I'm still figuring numbers but I downloaded a PDF file for Classic Industries and so far, I'm up to $5300 in parts and I haven't priced all of them. The bolt of cloth is NOT cheap. I don't remember how many yards are in a bolt but when I do headliners,s fabric runs $19 to $60 per square yard. I'm working on my welding skills and a friend isn't much of a mechanic but he can weld and lay paint good. I had a wrinkled fender for my '52 Power Wagon a few years back and when he got done, it was like new. I'm figuring $1000 for the engine transmission that is included but I suspect it's more like $1500-2000 with fresh work on them.

I don't feel so bad getting so deep in the PT restoration.
When are you going to get it?

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still a good deal. I didn't know pt cruisers had a following to be honest. For the elky you can use blazer spindles and put blazer dual piston calipers on. Mustang rear end conversion and you're good to go.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
El Caminos are G bodies, and they're fun. Sounds like a fun project for sure. The 4.3 is a good motor too. I'm not sure, but I think you might be able to use the old motor mounts--if you wanted to. The 4.3's were literally v8s that had the last 2 cylinders taken off.
If it was mine I'd put a Monte SS front bumper cover on it. I think they look good.

OP
OP
grouch

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When are you going to get it?

This week is a wash due to the Holidays. I have something to do next Tuesday so I'm hoping to head up Wednesday. I'm trying to decide if I'll use my '96 Ram to tow or rent a 3/4 ton from Enterprise. Cheaper to use my truck but I'll be going nearly 1000 miles in two days and don't want to get stranded. Renting will increase transportation costs by $400, but I won't have to keep an eye on the equipment. Just get in and go.

I figured up the cost to buy the parts coming with it. He's wanting $4000 for the Elko and the parts total is $4142. I'm under no illusion how solid the car is. I know there is a lot of rust, it IS from Michigan after all.

To answer the popularity of the PT Cruiser, they have a small but avid following. If this was a 4 door, I wouldn't be selling it. They are handy little cars. I'm 6 foot though and mostly torso. That makes seeing out the back window nearly impossible.

OP
OP
grouch

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
El Caminos are G bodies, and they're fun. Sounds like a fun project for sure. The 4.3 is a good motor too. I'm not sure, but I think you might be able to use the old motor mounts--if you wanted to. The 4.3's were literally v8s that had the last 2 cylinders taken off.
If it was mine I'd put a Monte SS front bumper cover on it. I think they look good.

We ran Toyota 8000 pound lifts at work for several generations with the 4.3. They did everything we asked. When GM dropped the 4.3, we went with Linde lift trucks. (Made by Porsche)IMG-1088.jpg

My truck a couple of days before I retired. No, it wasn't leaking coolant. That's condensation from the a/c system. They let me order trucks and I got the guys a/c and air ride seats. I caught H*** over that but the reduction in operator fatigue and RMI's was such that the company kept ordering the same specs that I set up. The Porsche 4 popper didn't have the power of the 4.3 V-6, but it was the best we could get.

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This week is a wash due to the Holidays. I have something to do next Tuesday so I'm hoping to head up Wednesday. I'm trying to decide if I'll use my '96 Ram to tow or rent a 3/4 ton from Enterprise. Cheaper to use my truck but I'll be going nearly 1000 miles in two days and don't want to get stranded. Renting will increase transportation costs by $400, but I won't have to keep an eye on the equipment. Just get in and go.

I figured up the cost to buy the parts coming with it. He's wanting $4000 for the Elko and the parts total is $4142. I'm under no illusion how solid the car is. I know there is a lot of rust, it IS from Michigan after all.

To answer the popularity of the PT Cruiser, they have a small but avid following. If this was a 4 door, I wouldn't be selling it. They are handy little cars. I'm 6 foot though and mostly torso. That makes seeing out the back window nearly impossible.
Would uhaul be cheaper? Not sure of rental pickup truck rates tbh.

OP
OP
grouch

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would uhaul be cheaper? Not sure of rental pickup truck rates tbh.

I'm considering a truck rental myself. 7 hours and 466 miles one way, more or less. Enterprise has a 3/4 ton truck for $75 per day with 150 miles free. Add towing, it's $100. While I'm pretty sure my truck would handle it, it's set up more towards low speed work and off road on my farm. I'm thinking of my back. A 2 day rental and the extra miles at 30 cents per mile, it looks like it might run me $410 plus trailer rental. Fuel and a motel for overnight will probably be the same.

Grady_Wilson

Reaction score
Did you end up grabbing the El Camino?

I have a '64 El Camino that has been a perpetual project.
Bought it about 35 years ago and I have never driven it.
It was originally purchased as a parts car for the '64 Malibu SS Convertible I owned at the time, but it was so solid and straight that I never had the heart to hack it up.
So, it sat in storage for years and years.
It was a few years ago that I decided to dive in and start working on it, but my other cars always seem to get in the way.

OP
OP
grouch

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you end up grabbing the El Camino?

I have a '64 El Camino that has been a perpetual project.
Bought it about 35 years ago and I have never driven it.
It was originally purchased as a parts car for the '64 Malibu SS Convertible I owned at the time, but it was so solid and straight that I never had the heart to hack it up.
So, it sat in storage for years and years.
It was a few years ago that I decided to dive in and start working on it, but my other cars always seem to get in the way.

No. I drove nearly 500 miles with w rented truck and trailer to look at and trade for what was a good looking car. I thought Indiana roads were bad but the Ohio roads were so rough they actually tripped my dash cam several times.

I took this up as he specifically wanted it.
Resized_20230816_113054.jpeg

I was going to trade for this.

D77F845088244CEEB75F9BA0631F0F3D.jpg
EFC220C464E04C928AA9B2F95FB099E3.jpg

I found this.

Resized_20240111_091721.jpeg
Resized_20240111_091730.jpeg

Numerous parts had been removed, the "New" engine was a used one from a race car that wasn't up to *****, the solid frame I could poke my finger through and the hood had been a painting work bench. I did run and actually ran pretty decent. The "New" tires were all half flat and weather stained so they would be flat spotted at best. I would have had to strap the hood down as the latch had been removed for some reason.

My PT is a good running, looking and driving car. It needs nothing but someone to enjoy it. The El Camino I could easily visualize a hole opening in the driveway to pour money into.

Basically I rented a truck and trailer and hauled my car for nearly 1000 miles for no reason.

No, I'm not happy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts