14Bolt SF 4X4.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackcoffee

O.G. Black.
Reaction score
I want to get a 14 Bolt axle for the rear. I've been told I need to get it out of a 1500HD 4X4 to get the 14 Bolt SF 4X4. What will need to me modified to get that honker to fit in a 2 Door 98' 4WD Tahoe?

---------- Post added at 11:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 AM ----------

It's gotta be 6 lug btw.

OP
OP
blackcoffee

blackcoffee

O.G. Black.
Reaction score
Well I guess, ha. It could pull as much as a normal 2500 at the time they made them I think. They had beefed up suspension and they had the 6.0L LQ4 engines. But it was a physically smaller truck. So am I right about this?! What 14Bolt 6 lug do I need to fit my truck. With the least modification.

99COOP

Retired
Reaction score
No, if you get it out of an hd it will be 8 lug. You need to look for a light duty 2500 axle, and it needs to be the 4x4 axle width. If you find one out of a 2500 4x4 pre 97' it will bolt right up and you wont need to modify a thing, besides a conversion u joint.
If shipping wasn't a ***** i would give you my stripped, and painted housing + shafts for a hell ova deal.

OP
OP
blackcoffee

blackcoffee

O.G. Black.
Reaction score
Oh its you 99COOP I remember you had a thread about getting that axle I couldn't remember who it was! How much does it weigh?! Why aren't you putting it on your truck!?

---------- Post added at 04:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 PM ----------

Oh shit thats right you sold your truck ='[!

---------- Post added at 04:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:07 PM ----------

If we could figure shipping costs, I would LOVE to take it off your hands. I'd really appreciate it!

99COOP

Retired
Reaction score
the empty housing and axle shafts have gotta weigh like like 225 pounds at a min. I would ship it out to you but i would imagine if you looked at your local salvage yards for a couple weeks you could find one. Plus mine is going to need a good amount of work: new brakes, carrier, gears, bearings, seals. You would probably be better getting a complete assembly, and rebuild/replace what you want.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
coop is right, light duty 2500. look around your area and chances are you will find the whole set up.

newmarketeod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not the rear end out of a 2wd 3/4 ton? They are 6 lug SF 14 bolts but came factory with 4.10s and 4.56s

99COOP

Retired
Reaction score
^ 2wd axles are about 3 inches narrower then 4wd axles. You will have to either lengthen the axle tubes and get new axle shafts or run spacers. You will also have to cut off and move the spring perches out because the spring width in a 2wd is narrower. a 4wd axle is a drop in fitment for the obs.

newmarketeod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ 2wd axles are about 3 inches narrower then 4wd axles. You will have to either lengthen the axle tubes and get new axle shafts or run spacers. You will also have to cut off and move the spring perches out because the spring width in a 2wd is narrower. a 4wd axle is a drop in fitment for the obs.

:doh2: My bad, didn't know that. Good thing I found that out before I went and bought a 2wd axle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645