2wd to 4wd swap? Advice or input

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
So the new truck I got is 2wd…
I have NEVER used the 4wd in my Tahoe
Beings I have to drop the differential for the oil pan drop coming up soon
My question is will the transfer case and differential work with the 2wd transmission or wouldn’t I have to put a
“4X4 transmission “ in so the transfer case will bolt up?
I haven’t actually got up under the truck to see exactly how it’s all laid out and everything I’ve owned has been 4x4 so this is my first rodeo.

Just something I’ve been scheming up in my head
I don’t want a 12-14” lifted truck that’s 2wd I’m sure I would catch some hell and if I did go to take it down the beach I would definitely need it…

If I’m stupid just say it but if it’s a direct swap like I’m thinking then I plan on doing it when I tackle my pickup tube and oil pan gaskets next month

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
per this recent thread

sounds like you need a different tail section on trans for transfer case to bolt up as you guessed..

OP
OP
Trey Hardy

Trey Hardy

Reaction score
per this recent thread

sounds like you need a different tail section on trans for transfer case to bolt up as you guessed..
That’s what I was assuming.
Just got a new transmission installed in the truck too is that tail section something that can be swapped out pretty easily you think? Ima put them side by side when I get home and situated wensday and compare differences

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe you have to change the output shaft and you will need drivelines, hubs and various other things, ears for the front diff have to be welded on, etc
there is another thread recently for doing pretty much the same thing

OP
OP
Trey Hardy

Trey Hardy

Reaction score
I believe you have to change the output shaft and you will need drivelines, hubs and various other things, ears for the front diff have to be welded on, etc
there is another thread recently for doing pretty much the same thing
Well damn might just have to have a 14” lifted 2wd then
I do have a fabricator bud who can make the mounts for the differential for me but I ain’t trying to mess with the transmission I just had put in it… I’ll take a closer look this week and see what all needs to be done to make it happen

OP
OP
Trey Hardy

Trey Hardy

Reaction score
I know the kryptonite hubs are universal for 2wd and 4wd and I wanted to put a set on anyways so that ain’t an issue.
The trans I feel like will be the biggest issue but every thing else I can take off the Tahoe pretty easily

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be easier to go AWD than 4x4 as that would require a lot of wiring and programming as well. Yes, the transmission needs to come apart for a new output shaft, the tailshaft adapter just bolts on externally. Different gaskets, bushings, etc. too.

OP
OP
Trey Hardy

Trey Hardy

Reaction score
It would be easier to go AWD than 4x4 as that would require a lot of wiring and programming as well. Yes, the transmission needs to come apart for a new output shaft, the tailshaft adapter just bolts on externally. Different gaskets, bushings, etc. too.
Might just rock the 2wd for awhile then.
My plans are to put these welds on it anyways with some 38.5/16/15 tsl sx boggers so hopefully getting stuck won’t be an issue but it would be nice to have the 4wd.
Not interested in awd because I wouldn’t be able to do doughnuts or burnouts when I get the itch in me to do so lol

Plus it makes it easier with the lift she’s got I ain’t gotta worry about extended cv axles or stuff to make it all work together correctly and not break every time I use it.

She’s got a 7-9” set at 9” with a 3” body lift and I’m getting a 2-3” leveling kit to stack on it when I get home so she will be pretty damn high.

If it was plug and play like I originally thought then yea but after the research and all the only thing I would be worried about is messing with that new transmission and possibly voiding the 3 year warranty they give me on it…

jeremiahm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With all of that tire you should consider the 14 bolt rear axle swap (if you don't have it already) there is a stamp of AXN, or just count the bolts on the diff cover. This will give you the stout you will need in the sand. Put an electric locker in that and you will have a lot less chance of getting stuck. You will have two tire turning at the same time. It seems your intentions may not always be easy cruising on the sand! AWD will be simpler as stated, but its really intended for having all 4 wheels on the ground and may not work great in sand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts