'12 Suburban Retrofit - questions and worklog

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I baked them 300 for 20 minutes, pried a little bit and put some wooden shims in. Then 20 mins more. Rinse, repeat. I ended up doing that for about 4 hours for the pair. They finally came apart, and all the permaseal stuck to the lens side. So then I spent another long date with the oven heating the lens, peeling/scraping off the permaseal, then heating again. This I found 225 to be the ideal temp to let the seal get a little pliable but still will peel off in larger pieces. Sortof.
I have a set of Anzo u-bars (NBS) that I did a retrofit on without opening them up, by using the same brackets made for the OEM Denali’s. I was thinking of opening them to remove the amber corner reflectors but they’re Permaseal so Im thinking Ill leave them as-is. The projectors themselves were hard enough to remove, I can imagine the lenses would be a bit much just to do that.

OP
OP
headala

headala

Reaction score
Finally finished this up a couple of weeks ago. What a job; I have total respect for folks who do this day in and day out.

IMG_0043.jpg

OP
OP
headala

headala

Reaction score
If I had it to do over again I would:
  • Make sure I was buying quality aftermarket housings with butyl sealant. Mine were a bit cheaper than Depo but were lower quality, and had permaseal. Hours and hours of work to save a few bucks. And the adjuster slips on these quite a bit.
  • Put in the latest generation of LED projector, rather than the D2S. Yes, maybe not quite as good but so much easier to wire and to not have to cut the frame behind the low beam.
  • Map out how I was going to wire all of this beforehand. I ended up using quite a few relays and it became quite complicated. And I'm still working on tidying it up.
  • Use a template for drilling holes in the reflector for the bolts. Spend a few bucks, get perfect holes and rotation, sell it to someone else to use.
I'm happy to help anyone who wants to do their own, or answer any questions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MCDizz