Suburban 2023 - Power running boards retrofit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ENTX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I placed an order for a High Country Suburban but retractable running boards was a constrained option (as well as few others) so I had to go without them. The dealer said it's easy to retrofit later and it's a dealer installed accessory anyway. (is it truly so? I thought they come from the factory like that)

I'm curious, would the truck has all the necessary ports, connectors etc for the retrofit even though it wasn't a selected option for the build? I watched the install videos for AMP boards and it seems to involve drilling holes (under the driver seat) to run cables etc...

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Pro299

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are not typically a dealer installed accessory. You may want to read through this:

The installation I expect is straightforward. The integration with the body control module, maybe not so much. I'd ask the dealer if they've actually done this successfully. By that I mean having the boards controlled through the infotainment system settings just like the factory install. If the vehicle doesn't leave the factory with the retractable boards, then the vehicle control modules as well as GM's VIN matchup will be assuming non-retractable and might not work. Maybe the dealer has a way to program the boards to the vehicle as an accessory, but I'd insist on more than a quick "sure we can do that." Not saying every salesman will say anything to close the deal, but it's been known to happen.

OP
OP
E

ENTX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
They are not typically a dealer installed accessory. You may want to read through this:

The installation I expect is straightforward. The integration with the body control module, maybe not so much. I'd ask the dealer if they've actually done this successfully. By that I mean having the boards controlled through the infotainment system settings just like the factory install. If the vehicle doesn't leave the factory with the retractable boards, then the vehicle control modules as well as GM's VIN matchup will be assuming non-retractable and might not work. Maybe the dealer has a way to program the boards to the vehicle as an accessory, but I'd insist on more than a quick "sure we can do that." Not saying every salesman will say anything to close the deal, but it's been known to happen.
Thank you. Yes, integration is what I'm worried about. Will ask the dealer more questions, but I might just leave the factory-installed non-retractable boards unless they are terrible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dlshort21