$1 dealer lien on vehicle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was just reading a story about a guy in Canada who went to sell his yukon and discovered the dealer had placed a $1 2nd lien on the vehicle (buried in the paperwork) even though he paid it off, so that it could not be sold for 12 months
apparently they said they did this to protect Canadian pricing on vehicles there so Americans can't buy them up, apparently at a better price.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I saw that this morning browsing through the news on the throne.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Yeah, you want to read and understand all the contracts you sign.

Nonetheless it’s sneaky and underhanded if they don’t highlight that during the deal making.

If I was presented a contract like that I’d just strike through the offending paragraph before signing. Or no deal. Most consumers are led to believe contracts are set in stone. Not true.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just reading a story about a guy in Canada who went to sell his yukon and discovered the dealer had placed a $1 2nd lien on the vehicle (buried in the paperwork) even though he paid it off, so that it could not be sold for 12 months
apparently they said they did this to protect Canadian pricing on vehicles there so Americans can't buy them up, apparently at a better price.

That dealer owes that man an apology. The dealer should also apologize to whoever the owner tried to sell his Yukon to. I almost feel I should apologize for how much I think that dealer should be apologizing.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, ummm... that's the sort of underhanded crap that makes some people feel violent. Or at least so I've heard. :p

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely more to this story…apparently the buyer had already exported several vehicles and he was on a “do not sell to” list. Not saying the dealership had the right to do it, but seems both parties have some baggage

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely more to this story…apparently the buyer had already exported several vehicles and he was on a “do not sell to” list. Not saying the dealership had the right to do it, but seems both parties have some baggage
Yep, this is usually the case…about any conflicting story.

WTSHARK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting, while I am certainly no expert on Canadian auto sale laws, that seems a bit shady. Sales contracts are not written in stone, and as pointed out in a previous post, either party has the right to amend or edit them. Of course, how many of us read the pages and pages of fine print on the massive sales contracts. The last time I bought a car, there were more pages to sign/initial than when I'd purchased my first house. Ethics aside, a hidden roadblock like that sounds like a legal loophole someone is exploiting, and (once again, no expert on Canadian civil codes) seems as though there would be legal action as a possible option.

bobsburban

Reaction score
...If I was presented a contract like that I’d just strike through the offending paragraph before signing. Or no deal. Most consumers are led to believe contracts are set in stone. Not true.

As someone who deals with contracts for performing artists all the time, I cannot emphasize this enough. It doesn't matter how long it takes while sitting in the finance guy's office - read the entire contract and feel free to strike and initial contract clauses that are above and beyond. There is much in these contracts that is non-negotiable but there are still some clauses that can - and should - be negotiated.

In our industry, the infamous "no green M&Ms may be served in the dressing room" clause in a tech rider is in there solely to see if you read the contract and the rider(s). If it's not struck, the artist knows they're working with someone who will probably not be on top of the production needs for a show.