08 Yukon tire wear/control arms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dino615

Reaction score
Hey,
I have excessive wear on the passenger side tire and starting to wear on the drivers side. I have zero play in my ball joints, but a local mechanic told me I need all 4 control arms. I have the truck up right now and noticed there are no bushings left on the stabilizer bar. Could this be the culprit? Would this cause excessive tire wear? I would rather not spend $1,000+ if I can get by with stabilizer bushings.

I should also add that the inside and outside edges of the tire are worn completely round and to the threads. The center of the tire is fine.

Thanks,
Dean

Last edited:

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey,
I have excessive wear on the passenger side tire and starting to wear on the drivers side. I have zero play in my ball joints, but a local mechanic told me I need all 4 control arms. I have the truck up right now and noticed there are no bushings left on the stabilizer bar. Could this be the culprit? Would this cause excessive tire wear? I would rather not spend $1,000+ if I can get by with stabilizer bushings.

I should also add that the inside and outside edges of the tire are worn completely round and to the threads. The center of the tire is fine.

Thanks,
Dean

I would replace the bushings and take your vehicle in and get it aligned. I highly doubt you need 4 new control arms. At the most, you might need some new control arm bushings. I experienced this on my '07 and a simple alignment took care of it.

OP
OP
D

Dino615

Reaction score
I would replace the bushings and take your vehicle in and get it aligned. I highly doubt you need 4 new control arms. At the most, you might need some new control arm bushings. I experienced this on my '07 and a simple alignment took care of it.

I just ordered a bushing kit and will replace those. I have tried pushing pulling and jacking on the control arms and get zero movement so I was leery too, especially all 4. Had he told me that I had a bad one, or bad ball joint I might have gone for it. All 4 bad, nah, it has to be something else.

Thanks for your reply.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just ordered a bushing kit and will replace those. I have tried pushing pulling and jacking on the control arms and get zero movement so I was leery too, especially all 4. Had he told me that I had a bad one, or bad ball joint I might have gone for it. All 4 bad, nah, it has to be something else.

Thanks for your reply.

When you take it in for an alignment, they will let you know if you need new stuff. Until then, keep your $1000 in your wallet.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...there are no bushings left on the stabilizer bar. ...Would this cause excessive tire wear?

The missing bushings will affect tire wear but the wear you describe is more than that. I would reckon that you did not rotate them every oil change and it is very likely that the alignment is off, not only because of the bushings being missing, but maybe the tie rods need replacement too. Oh, and how much air did you run in them compared with the door sticker and how often did y'all check it? Is this the wife's car?

IZZY_BRITTON

Reaction score
I was going to ask about air pressure, bald outside and inside with good tread in the middle usually indicates under inflated tire.

Ball joints can muck up your alignment as well as bad bushings on any part of your sprung suspension, but I don't think your sway bar bad bushings would effect that a whole lot unless your sway bar is in a bind somehow. Maybe bent or caught on something in the past?

Of this is not your wife's car, is this a full fledged road racing car? Drift car? That might explain some of it, but I am doubting this is the caseo_O?

OP
OP
D

Dino615

Reaction score
The missing bushings will affect tire wear but the wear you describe is more than that. I would reckon that you did not rotate them every oil change and it is very likely that the alignment is off, not only because of the bushings being missing, but maybe the tie rods need replacement too. Oh, and how much air did you run in them compared with the door sticker and how often did y'all check it? Is this the wife's car?

I definitely have not rotated them every oil change. The tire pressure is checked weekly. I have checked the tie rods and they seem to be in normal working order without any play in them. I have a new used tire that I picked up with just a few hundred miles on it. I have done the bushings I am going to have that mounted and see what happens. The driver side has rounded edges and starting to show wear. That side had bushings but they were quite worn. The passenger side is worn through to the threads and completely rounded and that side literally had one bushing remaining on the top and bottom but the middles were missing, and the bottom was not even touching the stabilizer bar.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I definitely have not rotated them every oil change. The tire pressure is checked weekly. I have checked the tie rods and they seem to be in normal working order without any play in them. I have a new used tire that I picked up with just a few hundred miles on it. I have done the bushings I am going to have that mounted and see what happens. The driver side has rounded edges and starting to show wear. That side had bushings but they were quite worn. The passenger side is worn through to the threads and completely rounded and that side literally had one bushing remaining on the top and bottom but the middles were missing, and the bottom was not even touching the stabilizer bar.

Out of curiosity, what kind of tires and how much air do you run in them? How often do you rotate them?

The tire wear you describe is not unlike my wife's car. She never checked the air pressure, never rotated the tires, and never got an alignment since I put 4 new ones on 2 years ago.

OP
OP
D

Dino615

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what kind of tires and how much air do you run in them? How often do you rotate them?

The tire wear you describe is not unlike my wife's car. She never checked the air pressure, never rotated the tires, and never got an alignment since I put 4 new ones on 2 years ago.

I have the Bridgestone Dueler H/L. I run them at 35 PSI, I like the rider and feel there. I have zero issues out of the rear, and just now starting to have the issue on the front driver. I started seeing the wear on the passenger side but we had a bunch of other financial issues that I had to deal with so back burnered this issue since the tire was already ruined. i was assuming ball joints and had actually ordered those just had not got around to the install. Once I did nothing lined up between issue and parts. No cupping which I would assume from bad ball joint or tie rod. Wear on both sides which I would not suspect from a ball joint being bad. When I saw the bushings missing and learned that the tires lean more in the turns it led me here for more opinions. The job was about 30-40 minutes because i took the wheels off as I don't like to climb under the car if I don't have to (age, nor claustrophobia). I just cut the old bots off since they were seized anyway. New ones were on and tightened in 90seconds each and the wheel was going back on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AT4Hunter