08 Denali engine problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

White Shadow

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New to the forum. Great forum everyone. I just purchased a used 2008 Yukon Denali with 112,000 miles on it. Trans was replaced by dealer 10,000 miles ago. Truck was serviced at several dealers over it's lifetime. Drove it off the GMC lot and noticed a ticking (sounded similar to an exhaust leak) sound when I accelerated hard into rush hour traffic and thereafter while driving. I didn't notice during the test drive hours before. Took it back to the dealer the next morning and they said that they would fix it and "make it right". Called the Service Manager a couple of days later and he said that the engine may need to be replaced or rebuilt. Any idea what would be a better solution? Replace or rebuild?? I have read GM has had several issues with cam and lifters which may run metal shavings throughout the motor. Not sure if a replacement motor would have same issues down the road. Any help would be appreciated. I am scheduled to speak with the Sales Manager soon and want to be armed with some info. Thanks for any help!!!

tsuintx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they want you spend money to fix the issue, demand that they cancel the deal and refund your money. IIRC, some states even have a few day window to back out of deals. Not sure if FL would be one of them.

OP
OP
W

White Shadow

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply and suggestions. I actually want the truck and they have said that the deal can be undone. I am waiting to see if they will step up and help me with fixing or replacing the engine.

AZSCTACO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the notorious lifter/cam issue. Mine did that at about 35,000 miles.

OP
OP
W

White Shadow

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I thought it may be the cam lifter issue as well but they said it sounded more like the issue was at bottom of the engine. Either way the engine needs major work! Just looking to see if anyone out there has had their local dealer help with or pay for all cost associated with a fix.

tsuintx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply and suggestions. I actually want the truck and they have said that the deal can be undone. I am waiting to see if they will step up and help me with fixing or replacing the engine.

Good luck, then! Hopefully it works out for you.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
They should be able to unplug the plug wires one at a time, while running, and when the explosion of the spark plug stops and the pressure created on top of the piston that forces it down is stopped the noise would also stop, if in fact the problem is in bottom of engine. There may be other problems causing noises but this is a test to pin point the area of noise.

OP
OP
W

White Shadow

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks raiderron. I did finally speak with the General Sales Manager and he sung a different tune than the Sales Manager. Evidently when the Sales Manager said they would fix it and make it right he was speaking in a "general context" according to the GSM! Now they want me to pay $1,500 and they will fix the cam and lifter issue they found on #5. They are also supplying a 12 month 12K mile warranty on only the work to fix the issue. Should I be concerned about metal shavings making it past the filter and into the bottom of the engine??? This isn't what I expected from a well known dealer in Tampa!!! Any District Sales or Service Manager from GM want to comment on this one? I could use the help at this point to restore my confidence in GM as I am a life long GM "customer".

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I would be concerned with the metal getting everywhere. I would put both the managers in the same room with you and work it out where you all agree. One guy tells you one thing and someone else says another is bull$hit!

OP
OP
W

White Shadow

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Unfortunately the first Sales Manager no longer works there. He evidently quit 2 days after he said they would take care of me!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz