06 Taco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

06 Taco

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a silver 06 Tahoe Z71 with 165,000 miles on it. My wife and I call it the Taco. I've had it since 09 and it's been a very good truck.
The roof rack has been changed to an Escalade rack and I replaced the painted bumpers with chrome.
I would like to lower the Taco and up grade the shocks to level the truck and smooth out the ride .

I'm considering a drop of between 0/2" to 2/4"
The fender height is 35" in front and 37 1/4" in the rear with the stock 17" rims and tires. The factory rear springs are YJJ 15182559 and I have the towing package.

I'm not sure if I should start wit the drop or upgrade the shocks first, I've read that the Bilstien 4600 work great on a Tahoe.

I am looking forward to any input from members of this forum.

Thanks

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do both at the same time. You can get a kit with new shocks and everything you need. If you’re going 0/2 you’ll notice it some but the 2/3 or 2/4 looks better IMO. Tony @NORCAL SS has kits and advice on most any set up.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from Iowa.

That’s the first I’ve heard a Tahoe called a Taco. Normally hear that used as a reference to a Tacoma.

Same.
I opened the thread expecting him to say he traded an '06 Tacoma for the Tahoe.

I have a silver 06 Tahoe Z71 with 165,000 miles on it. My wife and I call it the Taco. I've had it since 09 and it's been a very good truck.
The roof rack has been changed to an Escalade rack and I replaced the painted bumpers with chrome.
I would like to lower the Taco and up grade the shocks to level the truck and smooth out the ride .

I'm considering a drop of between 0/2" to 2/4"
The fender height is 35" in front and 37 1/4" in the rear with the stock 17" rims and tires. The factory rear springs are YJJ 15182559 and I have the towing package.

I'm not sure if I should start wit the drop or upgrade the shocks first, I've read that the Bilstien 4600 work great on a Tahoe.

I am looking forward to any input from members of this forum.

Thanks

Bilstein 4600 are great shocks for these rigs. With that amount of drop, you could use stock-replacement shocks (as opposed to shorter "drop" shocks) if you used extenders in the rear. Once you get your rear lowering coils, you could sell your Z71 coils to recoup a little cash if you don't wanna keep 'em. IIRC, someone here was looking for Z71 coils recently.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
He has no conscience about things like that, no filter. He thinks it is a NEAT name. Needless to say, I don't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE