06 Escalade oil leak rear of engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anecdote - I was one of those that somehow boogered up my cam sensor install. I don’t know if it happened during original install or if I pulled it out and reinstalled the second time I had to pull heads for a crack. The o-ring was mangled and off kilter.

Didn’t discover it until I paid a shop to do the rear main due to massive oil leak from above. But the rear main was a little wet, too.

The ironic thing is I replaced the cps because it is a known leak point. :eek:

Eliminate the easy stuff as others said. Valve cover, valley cover, oil pan gaskets, oil cooler block off, oil sensor, cam sensor, crank sensor. From there if I remember correctly that only leaves timing cover and rear main/cover.

Good luck.

OP
OP
D

drhill

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'll be pulling the intake this week...so far it does look like some form of leaking at the rear of the engine. If it wasn't destroying my concrete driveway I honestly wouldn't care so much but I'm tired of cleaning up after this truck! M y other Escalade with 250k doesn't leak at all after a few fixes but was obviously taken care of even before my ownership

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
I’ve had the same leak for a while, off the starter bolt. I replaced the oil pressure sending unit (twice), did the valve covers, cam sensor, oil block off gasket, valley, oil pan gasket, it has never changed. I told myself the trans would die one day and I’d do the rear main then. Well, 7 years later it’s still leaking the same and the trans refuses to die. I purchased the rear cover with seal installed, so I’m sure 2 months after I do it the trans will die lol

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'll be pulling the intake this week...so far it does look like some form of leaking at the rear of the engine. If it wasn't destroying my concrete driveway I honestly wouldn't care so much but I'm tired of cleaning up after this truck! M y other Escalade with 250k doesn't leak at all after a few fixes but was obviously taken care of even before my ownership

Keep us posted on the fix, please!

Maximus05Escalade

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
OPS and cam sensor is where I would look first, and the rear valley pan gasket. Here is my experience with the same oil leak you are having. If you're not having knock sensor issues yet more than likely you will be soon. I am suggesting pull the intake because those gaskets are leaking you can bet on that, do valve cover gaskets, knock sensors, knock sensor harness, valley pan gasket, ops and cps. This is not throwing parts at it but rather saving you from taking everything apart 3 or 4 times to do these things anyway. The oil fill tube is probably leaking too and can be removed while valve cover is removed. You can replace it or just screw oil fill cap directly into valve cover. Also make sure pcv and oil trough if you will ,are clear on the driver's side valve cover. This being plugged can build crankcase pressure in turn causing more oil leaks and/or worsening already existing ones. Sounds like a lot but isn't hard just a little time consuming. more clean up then anything. If oil still shows up on starter bolts after that it is either your crank shaft positioning sensor and/or the oil dipstick tube. Speaking from my personal experience with my 05 Escalade,255k miles. LQ9. It is still very strong and runs great. At the age of these vehicles, they owe us nothing but are worth the returned love. It's a choice, payment or new parts or simply because we love the year and model of your vehicle. Good luck in your oil leak adventure. It's a process that can get frustrating, but you will get it. Just be prepared that it will be several things leaking not just one.

Maximus05Escalade

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Oil pressure sensor is at the back of the engine block, practically above the flywheel at 12 o'clock position. Could explain oil dribbling down both sides. The OPS is a fairly common thing to leak or start giving bad readings with old age.
See if you can get a little inspection mirror over the top of the flywheel area (or one of those colonoscopy camera probes) to see if that is leaking.
I was able to get a clear pic with my phone of the ops, rear of valley pan gasket and back of heads/ valve cover gaskets. All were leaking but the ops will pump the oil out back there and it will run down both sides. Start with the easy stuff. Still wouldn't count out the rear main even though it appears dry.