05 Z71 5.3 lifters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Submerge, IMO, at least I always did.
… so I just opened the box from rock auto and I noticed my lifters are in sealed packaged already dripping oil.. I guess they should be ready to go. I went with enginetech brand

I’ll see if there’s any further instructions

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ready to go or not, I recommend you submerge them over night. You just said, "I guess they should be ready to go".

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you guys submerge the lifters completely in oil? Or stand them up and just soak the roller portion?

… so I just opened the box from rock auto and I noticed my lifters are in sealed packaged already dripping oil.. I guess they should be ready to go. I went with enginetech brand

I’ll see if there’s any further instructions

That oil is to keep them from rusting. I soaked mine, completely submerged for weeks before I installed them. I didn't halt the project to let them soak that long. I was tearing down the motor and knew they'd be going in, so why not? It's not like they can be over soaked. Also, while still stood up and submerged in the containers, I used an old pushrod to press on the plungers to purge any remaining air and pump them up solid. I also pre-lubed the engine before the first start. At that first start, I didn't have a single tick and oil pressure immediately went to 40+.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All of what IamDub said. On ANY engine that I have to replace lifters I always submerge in oil and pump them up with a pushrod to get the air out and oil in. Saves on cranking time when starting engine up and you arent actuating a potentially dry lifter causing premature failure. The lifters are ready to rock n roll immediately.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That oil is to keep them from rusting. I soaked mine, completely submerged for weeks before I installed them. I didn't halt the project to let them soak that long. I was tearing down the motor and knew they'd be going in, so why not? It's not like they can be over soaked. Also, while still stood up and submerged in the containers, I used an old pushrod to press on the plungers to purge any remaining air and pump them up solid. I also pre-lubed the engine before the first start. At that first start, I didn't have a single tick and oil pressure immediately went to 40+.
Makes sense on the rust prevention. They came in these plastic trays so I just filled the trays up with oil. They’ll sit for a few more days. Most of my parts aren’t expected until the 16th anyway

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Makes sense on the rust prevention. They came in these plastic trays so I just filled the trays up with oil. They’ll sit for a few more days. Most of my parts aren’t expected until the 16th anyway

I stole two square Tupperware-like containers (I think they were cheaper, disposable Ziploc brand, actually) from the kitchen. Each was perfect to hold eight lifters, stood vertically with room to cover the tops and snap on the lids.

OP
OP

05z71luke

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So here’s the latest… lifters we’re soaked. Everything was torqued by the book. Fired it up still had some noise, I’m thinking because the oil press isn’t what it should be. Ended up taking to a reputable mechanic. They replaced the oil pump and did the sprockets and timing chain at my request. Oil pressure is solid when fired up but as the engine warms up it drops to about 5-10psi.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
May need the bar bell replaced at back of engine or how is the sender for the oil pressure?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA