04 Denali, long cranking before starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mhorn0817

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last week my truck started acting up. Its taking longer to start but it does eventually start. Also if you turn it off and start it right back up then it starts right away. Also there is a strong gas smell but no visible leaks. What could it be?

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Last week my truck started acting up. Its taking longer to start but it does eventually start. Also if you turn it off and start it right back up then it starts right away. Also there is a strong gas smell but no visible leaks. What could it be?
I'm guessing fuel pump. Have you checked your cranking fuel pressure?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your FPR could be letting the fuel pressure bleed off when you turn the truck off. Not sure if yours is on the fuel rail or on the pump itself. If it's on the pump, the whole unit (pump and FPR) has to be replaced. Mine was doing that on my 02 and I bought a FPR rebuild kit. As long as it wasn't turned off for too long, the pressure held. Mine's a return system so it just bled into the return line. Try cycling the key to on a couple times before engaging the starter and see if it fires right up that way. Not sure what the pressure should but yes perform a test. You should be able to see if it's bleeding off that way too.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FPR or check valve on the pump. Since smelling gas, I'd say FPR is leaking. Next time you go to start it after it's been sitting for a while, turn the key "on" (not start), then off, then on, off, then straight to start as normal and see if the engine starts much faster with less cranking.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would i still have a gas smell with a intake fpr?

I've never heard of the FPR being on the pump module, but I've never had a reason to look into that, either.

I'd say you'd smell the fuel more if it was on the intake manifold. I don't see how you'd smell the fuel leaking from an in-tank FPR that's leaking into a tank full of fuel.

Pop the hood and take a sniff, particularly on the top drivers side of the engine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Banjomatic