03 Tahoe Polished Aluminum Door Trim Restoration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShookieJay

Reaction score
Looking for tips and product recommendations for polishing the aluminum trim on the lower part of the doors on my 03 Tahoe. They have taken on a cloudy appearance and I would like to make them shine again. I've learned from past experience that anodized aluminum is tricky to clean up, assuming it's anodized anyway. What has worked for you guys?

Attachments

• 20221110_130054.jpg
    20221110_130054.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 12

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking for tips and product recommendations for polishing the aluminum trim on the lower part of the doors on my 03 Tahoe. They have taken on a cloudy appearance and I would like to make them shine again. I've learned from past experience that anodized aluminum is tricky to clean up, assuming it's anodized anyway. What has worked for you guys?
If it's anodized, the surface isn't aluminum. It's probably a plated coating. If it has deteriorated, try a 'safe' polish then a wax? Try one of those 'gritty' hand cleaners first?
( hard to know, without seeing it close up)

mwilson62000

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He ^^^^^^^ beat me to it. I was going to suggest that save yourself the headache and replace them. Once they look like what you have, there isn't any options that will look good long term. That aluminum or chrome finish is almost a faux finish. Think fake snap together wood flooring........oops my kid effed it up, how do I fix it? Replace and start over. It's the money vs time/agrivation conundrum

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just rip the whole molding off and trash it. These trucks have a great body line and look better and more modern without the ugly side molding.

OP
OP
ShookieJay

ShookieJay

Reaction score
Years ago my 03 had same issue. I used something like this. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1939978312...UVyOzfYSaO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

They were cut to exact size and stuck on over existing trim and looked much better. For $40, might be worth a try. Don’t have a close up, but here is what mine looked like. Had them on for several years and still looked good.View attachment 384886
Thanks, I might give that a try. Also I love those wheels! What size and are they GM? I've been thinking about getting bigger wheels so I can run the bigger brakes from the newer models. I hear they bolt right up but won't fit with the stock wheels.

mwilson62000

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@ShookieJay. Those are 18” GM wheels. I believe they were Silverado Z71 wheels From around 2015-2018. Check eBay, Craigslist and local Facebook marketplace. Here is one listing.

Yes, the Nnbs brake upgrade requires at least 17” wheels. Not sure about the 2020 big brake upgrade.

Mrobinson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Years ago my 03 had same issue. I used something like this. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1939978312...UVyOzfYSaO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

They were cut to exact size and stuck on over existing trim and looked much better. For $40, might be worth a try. Don’t have a close up, but here is what mine looked like. Had them on for several years and still looked good.View attachment 384886
How was the process getti g old ones off and prepping for new ones

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01