Polished aluminum vs. chrome?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjaaam

Reaction score
I'm sure this topic has had the horse killed, cremated, buried, resurrected, and the whole process done again a bajillion times by now, but I'd like to get some current opinions from the team here, please.

I'm trading in my 2021 Tahoe Premier for a 2023 like model. One difference is that the new one is coming with 22" polished aluminum wheels instead of the 22" chrome ones that I currently have. Not a deal breaker, but I am wondering about the appearance. I'm assuming that the aluminum wheels are clear coated so any sort of extra polishing to get them looking as shiny as chrome would be a wasted effort.

So, in your opinions, how do the aluminum wheels look as compared to chrome? Are they anywhere near as shiny? And, if not, is there really anything I could do other than strip the clear coat and put all the effort in to spit shine and maintain them (which, of course, I am NOT inclined to do).

Thanks for your time!

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the aluminum better. I think aluminum looks better. Unlike chrome, there are refinishing options with aluminum compared to chrome. The wheels will get nicks and scratches. Aluminum can be refinished much “easier”. Also, tires “stick” better to aluminum wheels.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pers pref...one is shiny like chrome, one is more muted. If you are in love w/ the Chrome, swap w/ your new ride and keep them.

I had chrome on my 2013 Suburban, and no issues at all in 8 years w/ corrosion or nicks or scratches, and I live in MN...
Key w/ the Chrome is don't use standard wheel weights, use the stick on ones...but that is pretty much the norm now anyway.

toi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to me polished is always better than chrome plated. they dont peel or chip and easily fixable.
and have a nice sheen to them

OP
OP
J

jjaaam

Reaction score
to me polished is always better than chrome plated. they dont peel or chip and easily fixable.
and have a nice sheen to them
I guess I’ll see for sure when I pick it up next week. I was looking at the freshly washed chrome today in the sun and I gotta admit I like the look.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
I like my aluminum wheels better then my chrome I never wash my rig and I can go 6 months without polishing and they will buff back to a chrome like mirror shine where my chrome wheels has putting in the cracks from just sitting in the Garage. I live on the coast so salt air is a issue here

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the only issue with aluminum is keeping them polished, especially if they are designed to have a nice appearance (high polish), regular aluminum oem wheels that are not polished generally hold up fine. chemicals will ruin the shine quickly

OP
OP
J

jjaaam

Reaction score
the only issue with aluminum is keeping them polished, especially if they are designed to have a nice appearance (high polish), regular aluminum oem wheels that are not polished generally hold up fine. chemicals will ruin the shine quickly
Key point here is the fact that I’m referring to OEM wheels. I’m assuming they’re clear coated, so your can’t really “polish” them up; just keep them clean. The finish from the factory is as shiny as they’re going to be…unless I’m wrong.

Pertzbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd assume once they get damaged, some heavy cutting w/ a wheel and then polishing after would cut the clear and damage off and you'd be back to bare aluminum to polish back just like the truckers do.

Banks22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 22” polished aluminum I really like them. I had these same wheels on my 19’ Silverado and they held up really well thru 3 michigan winters, wish I could have got them on my 22’ Silverado.
F8D1212D-C684-4719-B4E0-6806E6144B3C.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rddixon