Polished aluminum vs. chrome?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

jjaaam

Reaction score
I have the 22” polished aluminum I really like them. I had these same wheels on my 19’ Silverado and they held up really well thru 3 michigan winters, wish I could have got them on my 22’ Silverado.
View attachment 379152
Pearl Premier? Exactly what I have…it’s the best Tahoe I’ve ever had, and I’ve gone through 7 of them in the last 20 years. Love this vehicle!

CrossM2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m a chrome girl myself, always had the 22” chrome, just bought a z71 Tahoe instead of my Yukon I usually go with and as you know we have a totally different look here, trying to figure out how to embrace all the dark coloring and zero chrome!

Banks22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pearl Premier? Exactly what I have…it’s the best Tahoe I’ve ever had, and I’ve gone through 7 of them in the last 20 years. Love this vehicle!
Summit actually. Ordered this exact build in iridescent got denied spring 21’ and found this in transit.

SSpinball

Full Access Member
Reaction score
chrome rusts, you can polish the Aluminum back to new shine a thousand times if needed.

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd take polished over chrome any day and I can still claim chrome delete even without black wheels

IMG_4115 (2).jpg

Last edited:

tanda35

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the 22” polished aluminum I really like them. I had these same wheels on my 19’ Silverado and they held up really well thru 3 michigan winters, wish I could have got them on my 22’ Silverado.
View attachment 379152
Wish I could find this style in 20'' for my '20 Tahoe Premier. Sharp looking wheel.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Key point here is the fact that I’m referring to OEM wheels. I’m assuming they’re clear coated, so your can’t really “polish” them up; just keep them clean. The finish from the factory is as shiny as they’re going to be…unless I’m wrong.
This is incorrect information on “polishing”. You’re talking about making the finish brighter which is not polishing. “ Polishing” at least in this frame of reference would be taking a corrective abrasive compound like paint correction products to remove imperfections like scratches in the surface. I have 2021 Denali 20s, like the wheels that @R32driver posted on his XL Yukon. They do have a factory clearcoat over them so correction compounds can be used on the surface of the wheels to even put imperfections like scuffs. Now you’re not going to be able to “polish” them to make them shinier than what they already are to a like chrome mirror finish. If that’s the look you’re going for then you would want to get actual chrome plated wheels. Ask the dealer about a wheel swap. Most have OEM wheels in stock and usually will be willing auto make a swap if the wheels on the new truck aren’t to your liking.

That being said I love the polished aluminum 2021 wheels I scored as take offs virtually brand new. Gal I bought them off of had less than 100 miles on the Denali she pulled up in when we met to make the wheel sale. Been on the truck a little over two years now and they look just as good as they did the day I bought em. But that being said I’m a professional detailer with the best products always available on hand. Before I mounted them up I took a little bit of wheel correction product and tidied up the wheel surfaces, and then gave them a good coating of three year ceramic coating that I always have on hand. The ceramic coating makes them super easy to keep clean. What minimal dust my carbon fiber ceramic brake pads do shed doesn’t stick to the wheels and make them black like OEM brake setups do. Even when they are dusty from the usual dusty grime of the mountains where I live they still have a really nice bright finish. Took this photo November 22’ after a 9 hour drive from where I live in southern caifornia, up to San Francisco for a Carrie underwood concert and after several hundred miles of driving my wheels still had a nice bright finish and looked good for a quick Golden Gate Bridge photo.

Attachments

• IMG_4030.jpeg
    IMG_4030.jpeg
    349.1 KB · Views: 7

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518