03 suburban stuck in 4wd auto

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03GMCYukonXL

Reaction score
03 suburban stuck in 4wd auto. Sometimes the DIC says service 4 wheel drive but most times it does not. If I try to click the other buttons the lights just flash. I'd really like to avoid shooting the parts cannon at this one because I just got through doing that with my 2007 Avalanche.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A Tech 2 will tell you if it's really in Auto (commanded vs actual). It will also read any codes that are for the 4wd system to help you determine where to start, as well as run bidirectional tests. Many times it's the ring in the encoder motor that changes the drive modes, but you'd probably want to diagnose it before spending blind money on a bet.

Might check the connection from the encoder motor to the body harness to make sure all contacts are clean and in good shape. It's about 8 or 10" from the encoder motor body and should be attached to a mount above the encoder motor.

Last edited:
OP
OP

03GMCYukonXL

Reaction score
A Tech 2 will tell you if it's really in Auto (commanded vs actual). It will also read any codes that are for the 4wd system to help you determine where to start, as well as run bidirectional tests. Many times it's the ring in the encoder motor that changes the drive modes, but you'd probably want to diagnose it before spending blind money on a bet.

Might check the connection from the encoder motor to the body harness to make sure all contacts are clean and in good shape. It's about 8 or 10" from the encoder motor body and should be attached to a mount above the encoder motor.
Where is this located? Sorry, I'm fairly new to gm and really new to this body style

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
try pressing and holding the 2wd drive button before you start it up, after it has started release the button and see if it goes to and stays in 2wd
if it does then it's possibly the switch.

03yukXL

Reaction score
Mine is the exact same truck as yours. It was the encoder ring. If you don’t want to dig it out and aren’t sure the motor is good, you could replace the whole motor. Ring is about 20 bucks, the motor can be gotten for 80-100 on amazon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xay2Smoove