Slipping or stuttering in 4wd auto mode -- is this normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A long long long time ago, we had to get out and lock hubs to use 4WD.

Then came along automatic hubs, but you still had to lock them for full time 4WD.

Sometimes they'd get stuck in the locked position and we'd have to drive backwards for a few feet to be able to unlock them. In bad cases, we had to jack up the wheels to release the tension to be able to unlock them.

The AWD systems (on our Explorer) are good for my wife, so she doesn't need to think about it.
Thank goodness the GM hubs are full time locked. The vacuum and electronic locking hubs from Ford and Chrysler were often problematic!

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually I like the old manual hubs, but with the selectable transfer case. This way your front wheels aren't driving the drive shafts all the way to the transfer case. Less wear and tear.

Has anyone done this?

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually I like the old manual hubs, but with the selectable transfer case. This way your front wheels aren't driving the drive shafts all the way to the transfer case. Less wear and tear.

Has anyone done this?

Who knows, there may be an aftermarket manufacturer out there who makes a manual disconnect hub. But the issue would probably be the stock wheels as the center opening is very small!

RobH

Reaction score
When my tranny torque converter lockup clutch started going out, it was slipping and grabbing in some gears, primarily second. No codes. Did a full fluid flush. Eventually there were codes and a reman transmission. I'd really watch it closely your next miles until you exit your warranty.

And thereafter for that mater.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Has anyone done this?
A quick search revealed this, but only compatible up to 2006 according to the listing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518