Another front brake upgrade thread (w PNs)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shorelocal

Reaction score
I just completed the usual front brake upgrade on my GMT800 Suburban ... here's how it went.

Caveat ... this is a new-to-me 2006 Suburban LTZ with 75,000 KMs ... everything was basically stock when I bought it. My truck has the brake booster system and the rear 13" rotors with 2 piston calipers as stock. Started off with the standard OEM front brakes ... 12" rotors and 2 piston calipers ... pads seem to have lots of meat left on them, but the brake pedal never felt great/strong. I like the feel of strong brakes (even if they're not really necessary for the driving I do), so I decided to tackle the upgrade.

Parts ordered are as follows:
- GM 4 piston OEM calipers from the 2020-21 Silverado (AC Delco RH 13536580, LH 13536579)
- Raybestos Element3 coated rotor 582458FZN (13.5") x2
- Raybestos Element3 hybrid tech brake pads EHT2173H (4 pads in each box)
- GM OEM brake hose for 2006 Suburban (RH 1761909, LH 1761908)
- flat SAE 1/2" hardened washers x4 ... 2mm thick

I decided to replace the brake hoses while I was in there ... cheap insurance after the truck's 15 year lifespan so far ... went with the OEM hoses instead of SS after reading posts / watching YT videos on SS lines. Rubber hoses just seem like less hassle and expense in the long run ... I'm okay with the minimal gain tradeoff of sticking with rubber.

First step was to scuff the new calipers and then paint them with 2 coats of POR15 red caliper paint :D ... total vanity move on my part, but I like the look of the Chevy Performance Brembo brake kit, especially on a black truck.

brakes1.jpg
brakes2.jpg

Next step was the removal of the old components and installation of the new. My truck came with updated GM wheels ... previous owner installed 18" wheels from a 2014 Silverado ... this impacts how many spacers I can run on the calipers before the caliper rubs the inside edge of the wheel. I experimented with a number of thicknesses ... 3mm of spacers was the best option to centre the caliper on the rotor, but that resulted in a very slight rub between caliper and wheel. I ended up going with only one 2mm thick spacer at each bolt mounting hole. I think the pads should be self-centering seeing as how there are independent pistons pushing on both sides of the rotor ... I can't notice any rubbing noise while driving, so looks to be okay.

brakes3.jpg

brakes4.jpg

brakes5.jpg

After parts install, I removed all the old brake fluid from the reservoir, installed fresh DOT3 synthetic fluid and bled the whole system using the Motive Products power brake bleeder tool.

Overall installation went well ... no real issues. I did do a brake test before starting the upgrade ... 80 KM/h to zero ... I still have to go back there to try the new brake setup now that they're abraded, but it's been wet out and I'm waiting for dry roads. Will report back on distance improvements, if any.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlbertoTahoe2011