02 Base for my son

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think this year is gonna be a good one for snowfall. Even though I’m spread thin and don’t get much sleep as it is, I decided I’m going to use this truck and plow to help others and not charge them. Sure, I could get out there and make some extra cash but I think this is going to be more fulfilling.
View attachment 384405

It didn’t take long and I have about 6 stops already that I’m gonna do. A 96 year old couple that have nurses visiting 2-3 times a day, an 86 year woman, a 78 year old with Parkinson’s, and 3 others that are on the list but have to see if they make the cut. I’m gonna take the more “in need” and maybe get up to 20 if they are all close.
Have a few people already wanting to help out with donations too. I’m not sure if I’m gonna take any money from anyone unless it gets to be too much. This is gonna be wear and tear on my truck and plow, diesel isn’t cheap and I’m always short on time but I think this is gonna be good for me and hopefully inspiring to my kids. If there are a lot of people that are in need of this service I might look into a non for profit 501(c)(3) and try to hire more drivers and pay them from donations. I think it would be nice if I can get businesses to donate, it would be a tax write off and good exposure for them, cover any expenses and help people. Definitely getting good feedback from people on it.
Out there putting good into the world when so many aren’t! Good for you man! Super impressive and hopefully everything falls into place for you on that!

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
Is that a Hot Oil (asphalt) plant?
Chemical plant. We have big shore tanks of caustic soda, that tank with the spill was potash, we also have hydrochloride acid in a tank that big and 180,000 gallons of storage for sodium hypochlorite (bleach) which we produce.
Out there putting good into the world when so many aren’t! Good for you man! Super impressive and hopefully everything falls into place for you on that!
Thanks. I’m gonna try to do some good this season when I’m not on my sled.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to ask what you do. Thanks for answering before I got there. Pretty neat setup and good job on getting it fixed (like always)

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
So I wanted to show you guys how these pumps are put together. Simple and effective. There’s a wet side and a drive side.
Let’s start with the housing itself.
617E14A4-220C-402B-8E2A-CCE157B297CE.jpeg

As you can see they are lined with viton or a Teflon. Viton is what we use for bleach and Teflon holds up to caustic, potash and acid.

Inside the housing there is a nose ring that supports the front of the shaft that stays stationary and supports the impeller and impeller drive.
24656EAF-7F02-4E29-9286-0A30CE97E10B.jpeg

The next part is the impeller and drive.
C127EFA1-45B0-4937-8F53-2B0F07D52CB7.jpeg

This is a 5.5” C drive. 5.5 is the impeller diameter obviously and for drives you have A B C or D. That just tells us how long the drive is and how many magnets are in it. Typically there’s 6 8 or 10 magnets in the drives depending on how far the push is and the viscosity of the product it’s pumping.
Here you can see the drive on the impeller. There’s are strong rare earth magnets inside the drive that run the length of it.
04FF5B6B-AC98-44C5-B12E-FE8A28A0BE1C.jpeg

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
All the above is the wet end. What seperates the wet from the drive ends is the basket. The basket is a fiberglass formed dome that the drive for the impeller rides in. It also supports the back end of the impeller shaft.
BFFBD2AD-13D8-4FC7-BB12-2D3D74F42A75.jpeg

The drive rides inside the basket and the impeller sits inside the pump housing. This is them together.
7A746B02-310C-4E2B-9FC3-4378614E607E.jpeg

Next is the star shaped ring. That holds the basket to the pump housing so I can pull a motor back off the pump and the wet end stays sealed up.
F3504310-6B31-457C-8C46-6AD6B8D6A3AE.jpeg

So the pump sits there with that basket sticking off the back of it with the drive inside the basket. The outer drive is what turns the inner drive by using the magnets. The A B C or D drive designation has to match the outer drive or it does some weird stuff.
This is the outer drive that gets attached to the electric motor.
9F443869-71EB-4336-9B1B-30D09DCB613B.jpeg

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
Here’s kinda a visual showing how the basket and outer drive go together.
99777664-7288-471B-BB7C-EB6622429B9B.jpeg

It’s kinda neat how it’s a mag drive and no mechanical connection between the motor and pump impeller. Outer magnet drives inner magnet and turns the pump. These magnets are strong!!!! When there’s obstruction or binding in pump, these 480v electric motors can’t turn the pump and it’s only restricted by a magnetic field. And don’t get your fingers between them or you’ll lose em.

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
On a side note, an old friend that used to be my riding buddy every winter is getting back into snowmobiling. I asked him if he was still riding and if he wanted to go on a poker run with my brother and I this season and he said the guys that he used to ride with all gave it up, got married and had kids so he sold his sled. I told him I never stopped riding but I didn’t like going up and spending my time belly up to a bar instead of riding. He’s been sober now for 12 years so those days are behind him now. I told him he’s more than welcome to come riding with us and I would even give him a sled to ride. He said he would love to. Called me 2 days later and was asking about track lengths and what I thought was better, a 137” or a 146”. I said going by the 80/20 rule (what you plan to do 80% of the time) which would be trail riding, the 137” track is better. So he bought a brand new sled. $22k and then had to buy a new suit and all the gear which set him back another $3500. Bought a Mission helmet in carbon fiber for another $800 and had to get a tunnel bag and gas can so his sled can carry his stuff. Then bought a GPS unit for it and the holder with the wires in charging cable. He’s probably $30k in and all I did was invite him to go riding again. That’s Nick, my ride or die buddy. lol.

So I tell you this for 2 reasons. 1) now Nick has a brand new SkiDoo 850 turbo sled that I’m not gonna let him show me up on. 2) a good friend who puts on this poker run up in Newberry Michigan in the you pee had a Yamaha Viper like mine last year. On Thursday and Friday before the poker run there’s about 40 of us that meet out on the lake and do drag races and have a bonfire. Before we went last year is when I put the turbo on my Viper. I told Mark I was gonna kick his a$$ and so he had a turbo installed on his. Shouldn’t have said anything. When my brother and I got up there last year I was kicking back, having some drinks and jaw jacking with guys and didn’t race Thursday. I figured Friday was the double elimination money pot day so I was gonna wait to race. Friday it was snowing and blowing so hard you couldn’t see out there on the lake so we cancelled it.
Mark ran into a stump that year buried under the snow and cracked his heat exchanger and twisted his tunnel so his sled was totaled.
Few months ago he called me and tells me he will be ready for this season and he got a Thundercat which has the Yamaha 4 stroke turbo in it and had it tuned, clutched and turned up to 275hp so he’s gonna “show me this year”!!

The ones who know me know that I’m not the one to bring a knife to a gun fight. I didn’t get my engine work done on my Viper this summer like I wanted to so I’ve been scrambling to get my sled together and turned up as much as I can without blowing a head gasket. I can only go to about 10psi and maybe 290hp but it’s gonna be a fine line on reliability and I’d hate to blow it up on drag night and not make the poker run with it. Although we do bring the Yamaha Apex with us just in case something happens. I’m going this weekend to hopefully drag home another sled. It’s a Yamaha Sidewinder XTX LE 137” with a factory turbo.
E705563C-B201-4338-AC13-B83156E0AE7A.jpeg
BB6441C4-60D7-4E02-AD1E-4DAAE9517B5A.jpeg
14088277-CC79-46B3-8AD3-B71C827341C9.jpeg
E1ACA7D0-CA3B-4F95-A895-7F6E7264CBDB.jpeg

It’s getting tuned for me this week by Hurricane. It’s gonna have a push button controller for tunes that can be switched on the fly, 240hp trail tune, 270hp extreme trail and a 330hp race tune all on 91 octane. It’ll do 350hp on 110. Hurricane intercooler piping, turbosmart blow off valve, Thunder Products clutching with weights springs rollers and their 911 cover, has a roll over valve delete, sealed relays, driveshaft saver, upgraded thicker drive chain with improved too gear, BOP no ice intercooler cover, Turbo Dynamics muffler, Fox QS3 shocks all the way around, upgraded 15mm sway bar, DuPont hyfax slides, comes with extra windshield, Yamaha windshield bag, the tunnel mounted hard bag, heated shield plug in already installed and a billet fuel cap. Ice scratchers mounted to skis and also the flip down wheels on the skis to save the carbides.

And I’m not saying a word to Mark about it and just gonna show up and whoop his a$$!!!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC