02 Base for my son

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
I’ve been looking for replacement grips for the bike. The Ultra Limited has heated grips and I didn’t want to cut the wires off and have to fish them out but there’s no good replacements for these. You can see how they are worn and they get almost sticky when it’s hot and you’re cruising for a while, even with gloves on.
E6558580-5E41-466C-8545-28993FEDF150.jpeg

Found this heat shrink material on Amazon that is used for fishing pole grips. It comes in all different sizes so I ordered 45mm for $8.00.
6E470EE9-9A40-4623-8F30-111F8907BCCA.jpeg

Perfect fit and I like the look better than factory and I didn’t have to spend $300 on grips. The heated grip still works too so that’s a plus.
E1FFE151-4BCF-4754-AD07-5D91F18C3186.jpeg

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
Main thing I wanted to share is this happened last night on my way home from work. Driving 65MPH and I start to hear grinding coming from my right rear wheel area. Turn the radio down to get a better listen and thought, oh crap, that can’t be good. Coming up to an intersection where the light was red I let off the gas and ease into the brake and it starts growling like nobody’s business!

I immediately whipped into a gas station that is closed and here it is 11:35PM and I have no tools and still 5 miles from home.
I get out and see what the situation is right away but how do I secure this caliper bracket with no bolt or tools? I’m walking around the gas station lot looking for a piece of wire, a chunk of wood I can beat I to the mounting hole with a rock, anything to get me 5 miles with minimal brake. So I decided to sacrifice my phone charging cable and wrapped it thru the mounting hole a few times and tied it in a double knot. Welp, hope this holds and I make it home.

It held and I did. Not exactly sure how I lost the bolt? Did I not tighten it back when I did the backing plates and put the new caliper on? No way it would have held that long. I don’t use thread locker on them anymore, I just smack the wrench with a BFH a few times and I’ve never had an issue with the thousands of brake jobs I’ve done. Is the mounting plate or bracket cracked? I didn’t see anything broke, cracked or busted this morning when I put new bolts in. The bottom bolt was in all the way but wasn’t BFH tight. Probably because the bracket turned in the direction of loosening the bolt. I put thread locker on this time and cranked them down but I’ll have to keep my eye on them now. This was a freak thing and I hope it’s not a reoccurring incident. I did check the other side and they were tight. Idk, but I’m glad it didn’t cause more damage or happen while I was heading up north. I’ll probably change the rubber hose too just because that was the only thing keeping it from rotating into the wheel.

4D2AF972-4389-4979-8F32-8441364B46A5.jpeg

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Main thing I wanted to share is this happened last night on my way home from work. Driving 65MPH and I start to hear grinding coming from my right rear wheel area. Turn the radio down to get a better listen and thought, oh crap, that can’t be good. Coming up to an intersection where the light was red I let off the gas and ease into the brake and it starts growling like nobody’s business!

I immediately whipped into a gas station that is closed and here it is 11:35PM and I have no tools and still 5 miles from home.
I get out and see what the situation is right away but how do I secure this caliper bracket with no bolt or tools? I’m walking around the gas station lot looking for a piece of wire, a chunk of wood I can beat I to the mounting hole with a rock, anything to get me 5 miles with minimal brake. So I decided to sacrifice my phone charging cable and wrapped it thru the mounting hole a few times and tied it in a double knot. Welp, hope this holds and I make it home.

It held and I did. Not exactly sure how I lost the bolt? Did I not tighten it back when I did the backing plates and put the new caliper on? No way it would have held that long. I don’t use thread locker on them anymore, I just smack the wrench with a BFH a few times and I’ve never had an issue with the thousands of brake jobs I’ve done. Is the mounting plate or bracket cracked? I didn’t see anything broke, cracked or busted this morning when I put new bolts in. The bottom bolt was in all the way but wasn’t BFH tight. Probably because the bracket turned in the direction of loosening the bolt. I put thread locker on this time and cranked them down but I’ll have to keep my eye on them now. This was a freak thing and I hope it’s not a reoccurring incident. I did check the other side and they were tight. Idk, but I’m glad it didn’t cause more damage or happen while I was heading up north. I’ll probably change the rubber hose too just because that was the only thing keeping it from rotating into the wheel.

View attachment 355646
Glad you were able to McGyver it and get home safe Jim. Weird for sure.

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
Got the second from the rear broken bolt out. Welded a washer to the the stud after building up some weld on the bolt itself and then welded a 3/8 nut to that and it walked right out. Wasn’t perfectly straight but it came out.
54F7FC23-1E26-4CCB-834A-BCB8C22F86B5.jpeg

The back one that was sticking out broke right off when I put pliers on it. That one is a bear to get the welder in there at the right angle. Took a few attempts holding the washer with a magnet but I finally got it to stick.
DD7DA51F-64A4-42D8-8A12-87B4A04F6188.jpeg

Then I filled in the center of the washer with weld and welded a 3/8 nut to it. The nut twisted right off. After about 3 nuts not getting good *********** because of the angle of attack I thought, you dumb idiot, use a bigger nut so I have a bigger hole. So first attempt with a 7/16 nut and it came right out.
E4E407DE-0FB2-4C6C-A7DB-CF4A56EE759C.jpeg

Cleaning everything up and going back together now.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Got the second from the rear broken bolt out. Welded a washer to the the stud after building up some weld on the bolt itself and then welded a 3/8 nut to that and it walked right out. Wasn’t perfectly straight but it came out.
View attachment 355953

The back one that was sticking out broke right off when I put pliers on it. That one is a bear to get the welder in there at the right angle. Took a few attempts holding the washer with a magnet but I finally got it to stick.
View attachment 355952

Then I filled in the center of the washer with weld and welded a 3/8 nut to it. The nut twisted right off. After about 3 nuts not getting good *********** because of the angle of attack I thought, you dumb idiot, use a bigger nut so I have a bigger hole. So first attempt with a 7/16 nut and it came right out.
View attachment 355955

Cleaning everything up and going back together now.
Def a pita job!! No long tubes??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trickystick19