02 Base for my son

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No blower motor to be had anywhere around. They all say they can order it and be here by Thursday. This sucks. It’s getting warm and the house is not comfortable at all!

Time to put my survival skills to the test. Sorry, didn’t take pics along the way because I was in a hurry and frankly, wasn’t sure if it would even work.

I have an old furnace from a mobile home that i was planning on hooking up in garage to get rid of my hanging furnace so I started dissecting that. Took the squirrel cage fan out of it but it wouldn’t fit inside my furnace because the motor stuck out the side too far. So I removed the motor from the fan cage and found a piece of rod that fit the cage where the motor shaft goes thru. Tack welded a piece of flat stock on both sides and drilled a hole to support the cage and had 2 bearings from who knows what that fit the support rod perfectly. I just used hose clamps on either side of the cage to keep it from walking one way or the other. Tacked the outside bearing race to the inside of the flat sock and the cage spins freely. Then I took an old motor for a compressor I had saved from work and made a plate to mount it. Piece of pipe welded to side of squirrel cage, a few tabs and a threaded rod and the motor was mounted to the side. A pulley from same old compressor got attached to cage rod and a power steering belt from my 350 in the CJ7 and it works. The motor bounced a little too much so I welded another bracket on with a nut and used a long bolt that I found in a box of crap that I could never throw away, because you never know!!

e19085b6b6ee12f1c866fe8380cfa54e.jpg

Couldn’t get my thermostat to power up and found the 120-24V transformer is bad. So I have to get a new one. But I wanted air so I stuck a piece of 5/16” fuel line above the contact on the ac compressor and used a zip tie to hold the contact in.

276b6b5d73deea1f213ac4d00a10f55e.jpg

Ac is on and house is cooling off!! Now I just need to go get that transformer so the compressor will cycle from the thermostat. What a day! Like I always say, persistence over resistance wins every time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pure magnificence.
I'm proud just to be on the same forum as you! :patriot::cheers:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
No blower motor to be had anywhere around. They all say they can order it and be here by Thursday. This sucks. It’s getting warm and the house is not comfortable at all!

Time to put my survival skills to the test. Sorry, didn’t take pics along the way because I was in a hurry and frankly, wasn’t sure if it would even work.

I have an old furnace from a mobile home that i was planning on hooking up in garage to get rid of my hanging furnace so I started dissecting that. Took the squirrel cage fan out of it but it wouldn’t fit inside my furnace because the motor stuck out the side too far. So I removed the motor from the fan cage and found a piece of rod that fit the cage where the motor shaft goes thru. Tack welded a piece of flat stock on both sides and drilled a hole to support the cage and had 2 bearings from who knows what that fit the support rod perfectly. I just used hose clamps on either side of the cage to keep it from walking one way or the other. Tacked the outside bearing race to the inside of the flat sock and the cage spins freely. Then I took an old motor for a compressor I had saved from work and made a plate to mount it. Piece of pipe welded to side of squirrel cage, a few tabs and a threaded rod and the motor was mounted to the side. A pulley from same old compressor got attached to cage rod and a power steering belt from my 350 in the CJ7 and it works. The motor bounced a little too much so I welded another bracket on with a nut and used a long bolt that I found in a box of crap that I could never throw away, because you never know!!

e19085b6b6ee12f1c866fe8380cfa54e.jpg

Couldn’t get my thermostat to power up and found the 120-24V transformer is bad. So I have to get a new one. But I wanted air so I stuck a piece of 5/16” fuel line above the contact on the ac compressor and used a zip tie to hold the contact in.

276b6b5d73deea1f213ac4d00a10f55e.jpg

Ac is on and house is cooling off!! Now I just need to go get that transformer so the compressor will cycle from the thermostat. What a day! Like I always say, persistence over resistance wins every time!

YOU ARE AWESOME!! That's some real McGyver skills there my friend!

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
A week ago I bought an LED light strip for my 3rd brake light just like @Speedslow. My factory LED only lights up on the drivers side and the other half is dead.
Today after work I didn’t feel like doing anything that requires me to stand, lift or move anything heavy or just think for that matter. I’m tired. I can’t sit around and do nothing so I tackled the 3rd brake light. Tried using a heat gun to separate the housing with no luck. This thing is like glued together and was never designed to take apart. I ended up scoring it with a utility knife over and over and over and over and over again. It took me about 3 hrs to get this thing apart and at the end I was getting medieval on that thing but I got it apart without breaking it.
1ac0c047e990ac49b4e949bc81deee31.jpg

I wanted to see what the issue is before I just replace it with a $30 light strip. I found the issue, a bad solder on the power wire going to the passenger side.
4634a2f7c18686b868795259a01b6900.jpg

I fixed the solder joint and now it works.
a81f23894b06e15e280dcc7febc822db.jpg
2ea78686b29fe1d6f20a7838d325a0d1.jpg

So now my dilemma is, do I leave it as is or do I put the new light strip in. I do like the sequential turns and flashing stop but I don’t want to do this again if the $30 light strip fails. Here’s Speedslow video if you guys haven’t seen it.

What do you think? I could possibly put the sequential light strip in and just leave the factory light strip unplugged. If the one goes out I could just plug in the factory again. I’d have to mount the strip so it doesn’t block the other light and I’m not sure if I can do that but I can try I guess. Or just leave the factory light? Thoughts/feedback?

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t see how you can mount the strip either into or on the housing so that it doesn’t block the factory light. I say leave the factory light as is and not mess with opening up that housing again. You fixed a really common issue with something as simple as a fresh solder joint that’s a win! Leave it be! Lol

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could go either way. My recommendation is that you choose the option that you believe that you will like the most. You could always change it to the other option, if you later decide against your first choice. It would most likely be a PIA, but it should be doable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh