01 Tahoe key fobs won’t program!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoe88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an 01 Tahoe that had 1 key fob that worked fine. I wanted an additional one for my wife so we ordered a new one. I followed the programming instructions exactly. Now neither remote works and neither would successfully program. The truck enters programming mode every time I try but the remotes themselves will not work. So the old and new both don’t work and I have to use the key now. What could be the issue? Yes I’m doing the program procedure correctly.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Virginia. Not sure if they’re the same but my dad’s 06 Sierra does the same thing. I tried dozens of time so if you solve it please share.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
When my Hoe first came into the family it had one OE remote, with a #1 on the back of the case. I bought two aftermarket remotes online and attempted to program all three, but the OE one wouldn't program; the two aftermarket ones did. I tried programming them in different order, but I could never get the OE one to program.

OP
OP
T

Tahoe88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
the one mine came with was a red replacement fob. I didn’t get any of the originals. But it worked fine. Now that I tried programming a new one, neither will work

When my Hoe first came into the family it had one OE remote, with a #1 on the back of the case. I bought two aftermarket remotes online and attempted to program all three, but the OE one wouldn't program; the two aftermarket ones did. I tried programming them in different order, but I could never get the OE one to program.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I had a 2002 Tahoe and went to Amazon to order 2 extra fobs. I did use the original fob and one of the new fobs and followed the steps in the pic I am posting and both fobs worked fine. I still have the new extra fob and plan to program them all to work. I know that when you do the new fob you have to do all steps for the new and existing fobs at the same time. Hopefully the pics help and I ordered the new fobs off of the numbers on the back of the original fob.

20201223_115842.jpg 20201223_120022.jpg 20201223_120033.jpg

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 2002 Tahoe and went to Amazon to order 2 extra fobs. I did use the original fob and one of the new fobs and followed the steps in the pic I am posting and both fobs worked fine. I still have the new extra fob and plan to program them all to work. I know that when you do the new fob you have to do all steps for the new and existing fobs at the same time. Hopefully the pics help and I ordered the new fobs off of the numbers on the back of the original fob.

View attachment 265772 View attachment 265773 View attachment 265774
Same process I just followed to link my Boost Auto Parts 2015 fobs for my NBS. It did seem to take quite a long time holding the buttons down on the fobs before the truck responded but all good.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Same exact process I used, but the OE FOB wouldn't program. One of these days I may try it again.

OP
OP
T

Tahoe88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I appreciate your response, but as I stated, I did that exact process numerous times. The truck enters programming mode but that’s it. The remotes don’t respond. I’ve held the lock and unlock buttons for up to 5 minutes on each fob and nothing ever happens. The remote I had worked fine I just wanted a 2nd one for my wife. Now neither the old or new one work.

View attachment 265772 View attachment 265773 View attachment 265774

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Almost forgot: Welcome to the forum from Oregon

In answer to your concern. You may have a problem with the BCM or the circuits with that. Check ALL fuses and while I would say make sure the fobs batteries are in good shape, I would assume it is not that since neither will program but I do hate to assume. I get that the steps I supplied are the same but I did not know that and that is why I supplied them. I also checked at the web site and the steps for a 2001 and a 2005, my rig, are the same.

OP
OP
T

Tahoe88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I still have to check fuses but when I looked the other night I didn’t see any BCM fuses, only the ecm. I wasn’t able to pull it with the high quality fuse puller provided and my tools weren’t on hand. I also thought, based on some other posts I’ve read through, that a sign of the bcm being bad was that the vehicle wouldn’t enter programming at all and confirming with the lock/unlock cycle. Mine does enter programming and the locks cycle once the unlock button is released on the door after executing the procedure. Are there any other procedures to verify a bad bcm? Any links where I could purchase one? I appreciate the help and the welcome! Thank you from NJ

Almost forgot: Welcome to the forum from Oregon

In answer to your concern. You may have a problem with the BCM or the circuits with that. Check ALL fuses and while I would say make sure the fobs batteries are in good shape, I would assume it is not that since neither will program but I do hate to assume. I get that the steps I supplied are the same but I did not know that and that is why I supplied them. I also checked at the web site and the steps for a 2001 and a 2005, my rig, are the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MCDizz