'00 Tahoe LS Panel lights only half working - SOLVED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Randy Whistler

Living the dream! I'm just not sure who's dream
Reaction score
Ever since I've had the truck, as far as I can remember, the left half of the instrument panel's dash lighting hasn't worked. IIRC, only things on that side are the tach and half the speedo, so no big deal. I am in the process of LED upgrades for the outside lights, and thought why not go LED on the panel as well while I was at it. Previously, I had found a burned out bulb on that side, so I ass-U-med that was the error. Apparently I was wrong.

I replaced the bulbs with new LEDs. Same problem, just the one bulb won't work. All other lights work perfectly - dash lights, turn signal, Airbag, ABS, everything, just this one socket appears to be the issue. From the electrical standpoint, I know there may be 3 issues - bad socket, bad trace, or bad wire/plug hiding somewhere.

Before I get too far, I've read a lot of the other threads about similar issues. I'm certain it is not the LED bulbs. Frogging bulbs hither and thither confirmed they all worked, so we can eliminate bulbs.

Is this a "common" issue with these panels, like the PRND321 indicators going out, or is this just "one of those things?" Would I be better off changing the entire panel out rather than spending time trying to find the bad trace? It's not a big issue, but it's certainly irritating. .

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is the polarity correct for the LED that's not working in the socket?

OP
OP
Randy Whistler

Randy Whistler

Reaction score
Is the polarity correct for the LED that's not working in the socket?
Yup, thought of that too. I tried every way to stick it in the hole :eek: but no difference. I also tried 2 other LED's just to be sure. I didn't think of putting one of the old incandescents back in until just now, but am doubtful. The whole reason I was going to LED's anyway was cause that one side didn't work. Methinks that there may be a trace gone bad, but based on my 50yrs of IT experience(started back when people actually had phones on the wall or desk!) it seems odd that only one trace would go bad and not affect other stuff. Of course since there's not much else over there. . . . :confused:

OP
OP
Randy Whistler

Randy Whistler

Reaction score
Well, after about a hour of troubleshooting traces on the backplane of the instrument panel, and finding nothing, I went back to the old-school troubleshooting I learned 5o years ago - remove everything and replace one at a time to find out what does and what doesn't work. Before I go on, let me put on my stupid hat - :banghead:

The replacement LED's I got are a 2-piece assembly - the LED itself, and then the socket to put them in. Apparently, somewhere along the line, during testing I suspect, I inadvertently put two of them in backwards - reverse polarity - and LED's are quite picky about which direction the voltage flows!! Yes, Fless, I know. . . :rolleyes:

Saluki

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've not been into this part of the vehicle (2014 Tahoe SSV) yet, but I need to as portions of the instrument panel are very dim on a sunny day, no matter what I do with the external controls. Is there a thread or vid on pulling the instrument panel, &getting into it, and even B4 that (as I'm needing to get an Amazon order up to free shipping), what bulbs are used?

OP
OP
Randy Whistler

Randy Whistler

Reaction score
I've not been into this part of the vehicle (2014 Tahoe SSV) yet, but I need to as portions of the instrument panel are very dim on a sunny day, no matter what I do with the external controls. Is there a thread or vid on pulling the instrument panel, &getting into it, and even B4 that (as I'm needing to get an Amazon order up to free shipping), what bulbs are used?
I am not familiar with the 2014 Tahoe's, but would suspect the removal process is fairly simple. I'm sure someone else here can speak more to it than I can. Generally speaking , unless there's a grounding issue with the panel, it would be a light bulb issue rather than anything else, at least to my thoughts.

Saluki

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am not familiar with the 2014 Tahoe's, but would suspect the removal process is fairly simple. I'm sure someone else here can speak more to it than I can. Generally speaking , unless there's a grounding issue with the panel, it would be a light bulb issue rather than anything else, at least to my thoughts.
Noted. Some parts of the display are pretty good, but, for example the little information area is not. So, I'm not sure if what light there is is bleeding over, or if a bulb is out. Does Chevy put the manual on line? Or maybe someone here can advise the bulb numbers used...