‘16 Tahoe tranny - Hard engage in drive.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
bigT63

bigT63

Reaction score
GM has a new fluid that came out after the first of the year you might want to give it a try in case yours is breaking down for some reason. The way it usually works with GM for tranny shifting issues is tranny fluid change and reprogram. Then converter replacement and finally transmission replacement. Should all be covered under warranty. Not saying this is your issue but has worked for numerous tranny issues. Good luck getting it fixed.

Nice to know. I’ll get the trans serviced next time and request/inquire about the new fluid. No longer using the service dept I purchased from. Going to a different stealership for service from now on.

OP
OP
bigT63

bigT63

Reaction score
Where do you leave the selector? 2wd?, Auto?, or 4wd?

My service dept admonished me not to leave it in Auto for normal conditions since it could damage the transfer case through excessive wear.

I try to leave it in 2WD. We live in Oklahoma and my wife freaks out in rain and high winds and feels the Auto helps better. ‍♂️ So it ends up in Auto often. The dealer I purchased from told me it won’t hurt the drivetrain one bit. I’ve caught on to their dishonesty in the last year on other things so who knows. I understand AWD is full time and Auto is part time, in and out when rear tires slip. Tomāto, tomãto. My bad for calling it AWD earlier.

OP
OP
bigT63

bigT63

Reaction score
Might as well get the transfer case serviced as well.

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I try to leave it in 2WD. We live in Oklahoma and my wife freaks out in rain and high winds and feels the Auto helps better. ‍♂️ So it ends up in Auto often. The dealer I purchased from told me it won’t hurt the drivetrain one bit. I’ve caught on to their dishonesty in the last year on other things so who knows. I understand AWD is full time and Auto is part time, in and out when rear tires slip. Tomāto, tomãto. My bad for calling it AWD earlier.
Where on OK? I used to live in OKC.

ATX 14

Reaction score
I only put mine into Auto when conditions are wet then put it back to 2wd during normal driving conditions. I know gas mileage is negatively affected when you have it in Auto.

Rumblur

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
See your dealer - there is a service bulletin on this. They fixed mine in 10 minutes.

OP
OP
bigT63

bigT63

Reaction score
Where on OK? I used to live in OKC.
Small world bro. Tuttle OK. Originally from Houston TX. Oil industry brought me here. I bought the Tahoe from Smicklas. They’re kinda goofy at the service dept. Going to John Holt Chevy or Byford GMC in Chickasha for now on.

OP
OP
bigT63

bigT63

Reaction score
I only put mine into Auto when conditions are wet then put it back to 2wd during normal driving conditions. I know gas mileage is negatively affected when you have it in Auto.

My lead foot is so heavy I can’t tell a difference. Lmao.

xJGx

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For what it’s worth, I just got my truck back for the same issue. Shifting from park to drive/reverse was a huge shutter. It didn’t matter if I was on flat surface, or a slight incline. And it didn’t happen all the time. It was like that feeling you get when you go from reverse to drive too fast. But it would happen if I shifted really slow.

The dealership tried to reprogram it and that didn’t work. They were able to replicate it. They told me they had to call GM and work with their guys. Eventually they replaced the transmission computer (?). I can probably get the technical details from my receipt if that helps. I just got it back today so I haven’t put many miles on it yet. But so far so good. It was covered by power train warranty. I have about 75k on a 2015.