‘16 Tahoe tranny - Hard engage in drive.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigT63

Reaction score
Howdy Y’all,
Question regarding a 2016 Tahoe.
When shifting from park to drive, and after waiting for the feel of first gear engaged (usually no more than 1-2 seconds and intentionally waiting 10 seconds after dropping to drive), when giving throttle to accelerate, she feels like she then slams into gear as if I had the engine Reved up in neutral and dropped it into drive. Seems like to me for some reason the transmission is hesitating. Fluid level is good. After this takes place, transmission operates and shifts like normal. I’ve owned several Chevy trucks and I’m very familiar with how they operate and shift. Something isn’t right. Just trying to see if I’m not alone. Asked the dealer if this is common when I’m in for an oil change and they look at me like I’m smoking crack.

Could this be the transfer case since the AWD is on? Seems to not happen so much when I drop into drive, wait 10 seconds then feather into the throttle or have it in 2WD.

This is the first AWD/4WD Tahoe I’ve had. Others were 1500/2500 z71 trucks.

Thanks fellas.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Howdy Y’all,
Question regarding a 2016 Tahoe.
When shifting from park to drive, and after waiting for the feel of first gear engaged (usually no more than 1-2 seconds and intentionally waiting 10 seconds after dropping to drive), when giving throttle to accelerate, she feels like she then slams into gear as if I had the engine Reved up in neutral and dropped it into drive. Seems like to me for some reason the transmission is hesitating. Fluid level is good. After this takes place, transmission operates and shifts like normal. I’ve owned several Chevy trucks and I’m very familiar with how they operate and shift. Something isn’t right. Just trying to see if I’m not alone. Asked the dealer if this is common when I’m in for an oil change and they look at me like I’m smoking crack.

Could this be the transfer case since the AWD is on? Seems to not happen so much when I drop into drive, wait 10 seconds then feather into the throttle or have it in 2WD.

This is the first AWD/4WD Tahoe I’ve had. Others were 1500/2500 z71 trucks.

Thanks fellas.
Uh AWD? It should be 2WD and 4WD. Maybe 4WD Low and high, but not AWD. Have you tried 2WD to see if that selection makes a difference?

OP
OP
bigT63

bigT63

Reaction score
Uh AWD? It should be 2WD and 4WD. Maybe 4WD Low and high, but not AWD. Have you tried 2WD to see if that selection makes a difference?

It has a 2WD, AWD, and 4WD high selector settings. No 4WD low since it’s not the Z71 package.

This just sorta started happening. 27k miles. First noticed with the selector in AWD. I just switched it to 2WD last time I drove it, but haven’t noticed the hard engage since. Hardly ever drive it.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It has a 2WD, AWD, and 4WD high selector settings. No 4WD low since it’s not the Z71 package.

This just sorta started happening. 27k miles. First noticed with the selector in AWD. I just switched it to 2WD last time I drove it, but haven’t noticed the hard engage since. Hardly ever drive it.
Not that it will help your issue, but can you post a pic of your selector knob with 2WD, AWD, and 4WD? I have 4WD and do not have the Z71 package.

OP
OP
bigT63

bigT63

Reaction score
I’d like to mention it obviously has a 6spd. Before someone doesn’t pay attention to the year model.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM has a new fluid that came out after the first of the year you might want to give it a try in case yours is breaking down for some reason. The way it usually works with GM for tranny shifting issues is tranny fluid change and reprogram. Then converter replacement and finally transmission replacement. Should all be covered under warranty. Not saying this is your issue but has worked for numerous tranny issues. Good luck getting it fixed.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Auto is 2wd normally, and 4wd when needed. Just a touch different from AWD.