The Impossible Mod?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
at this point just buy the stock tahoe cab and drop it on the hybrid frame. done.

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Without looking.. just assuming weight plus flimsy = different parts than Steel plus stiff.. i would say replacement list would be...

1: A hybrid of parts to create the connection points to the hood (different) to the truck (same) .. its possible.. there is a point where this would be a direct fit.. just not AT the hood..

2: Im assuming different lift struts (or lift assist springs.. i dont remember.. does ANYTHING still have lift assist springs?)

3: Latch assembly.. or possibly just modding the one you have.. just assuming the heavier hood might have a stiffer latch connection than the aluminum one..

Hi mob ... so I took some pics of the only three connection points between the hood and the frame:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The left and right brackets are part of the hood itself, so a steel hood would have the exact same but stronger brackets to bolt on to the frame. My frame btw is the exact same as all the other Hoes, the only aluminum body parts are the hood and the rear liftgate.

So thinking along the lines of what you said, it seems that the only part that would need to be changed other than the hood itself, is that compressed air extending arm that hold up the hood.

Am I thinking about this the right way? :think:

I t would be really helpful if someone could snap the same pics as above in their nnbs Tahoe.

---------- Post added at 08:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

at this point just buy the stock tahoe cab and drop it on the hybrid frame. done.

Are you going to help or are you going to be a silly nanny?

The Internet wasn't created for mockery. It was supposed to help researchers at different universities share data sets ... it was!

MOBmentality

Has a $25,000 Punch
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea.. i think we need comparison pics at this point.. lmao.. they dont make a cool hybrid hood? i still think this is all moot

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a little surprised that so many folks like the hybrid bumper ... I'm sporting a snowplow and scraping parking lot dips like a Miata, on a truck!

I did make it look good though. :)

edgaranah1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would leave it as is maybe get a custom valance I really like the bumper the hybrid has the grill too. Looks aggresive. But thats just me if u wanna do the whole swap go for it. But with the kind of money ur wasting I wouldnt bother with it just get other mods that would help change the look of the truck and not just get a front end that every tahoe has.

B.G.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with everyone Soulsea.. Although I wonder sometimes if I really like the look of it from diff angles etc, at the end of the day it was one thing I really liked about the hybrids! then again I like riding low to the ground:)

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okayz, you guys talked me into keeping it.

However, I do want to do something about the 'snowplow' valance ... I'm going to investigate further as to the possibility of having a custom one made that is shorter and curves in a little to match the rear.

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe install some fog/auxiliary lights?

That's a complicated mod in itself because the two lower grille gaps where I have the mesh inserts aren't a standard fog light housing so they would have to be modified, then I would have to run new wires and install a new light panel on the dash to allow for the fog light switch. Plus as it stands that mesh is what gives the bumper some definition and takes the eye away from the behemoth valance.

Just noticed that the stock photo of the hybrid that you posted doesn't have door mouldings.

Yeah GM often photoshops the hybrid to make it look more 'stock' ... not only they have removed the moldings in that pic but they have also 'lowered' the rear. :whymewhyme:

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah GM often photoshops the hybrid to make it look more 'stock' ... not only they have removed the moldings in that pic but they have also 'lowered' the rear. :whymewhyme:

:eek: a published photo be photoshopped!! Say it ain't so!!! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Speardog