Checking transmission temp after mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jh62118

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all,

2015 Tahoe LTZ question. I’ve been scouring the web (this site included) for an answer and can’t find it. Finally created an account here to hopefully get an answer.

I installed the Superior Solutions upgrade a week ago and temps are way down (awesome). What’s the correct fluid level if operating temps are 160-180 and I’m not getting even close to that? Highest I’ve got so far is 130. I’m in Michigan so temps are chilly today.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

2015 Tahoe LTZ question. I’ve been scouring the web (this site included) for an answer and can’t find it. Finally created an account here to hopefully get an answer.

I installed the Superior Solutions upgrade a week ago and temps are way down (awesome). What’s the correct fluid level if operating temps are 160-180 and I’m not getting even close to that? Highest I’ve got so far is 130. I’m in Michigan so temps are chilly today.
should be at the full line even being at 130d, transmissions do not "consume" fluid like a engine might consume oil.
if the fluid is low then it has leaked out somewhere or was not properly filled to begin with.

OP
OP
Jh62118

Jh62118

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
should be at the full line even being at 130d, transmissions do not "consume" fluid like a engine might consume oil.
if the fluid is low then it has leaked out somewhere or was not properly filled to begin with.
From what I’ve read, the fluid level on the stick increases as the temp increases which is why they say to check it at “operating temperature”. My assumption was that somewhere between cold and hot would be sufficient but if you couldn’t tell, I’m no mechanic lol

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I’ve read, the fluid level on the stick increases as the temp increases which is why they say to check it at “operating temperature”. My assumption was that somewhere between cold and hot would be sufficient but if you couldn’t tell, I’m no mechanic lol
there really isn't that much science to it, if it is close to full while warmed up that's perfectly fine
half way mark would be like 1 pint low, again not a big deal but ocd happens

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what the question is?

1. Fluid temperature? 130F I would say sounds normal for this time of year.

2. Fluid level? See previous posts.

15burban

Reaction score
I wondered about this too when I deleted the dumb thing in my truck (ram with a 66rfe). For transmissions I always measure what I take out and put back in the same amount. Then double check on the dipstick.

One nice thing about the dipstick on the ram is it actually says on it to check cold at 70 degrees and hot at 180 if I remember right. Whereas our suburban doesn't say anything and the cold/hot marks are way closer together on it. Not a big deal, but with negative temps and thermostat installed I could probably drive for 10-15 minutes or so before the trans hits 70 (on my ram). Not that there's a lot of thermal expansion going on below 70 but at least a guy has a starting point.

OP
OP
Jh62118

Jh62118

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I wondered about this too when I deleted the dumb thing in my truck (ram with a 66rfe). For transmissions I always measure what I take out and put back in the same amount. Then double check on the dipstick.

One nice thing about the dipstick on the ram is it actually says on it to check cold at 70 degrees and hot at 180 if I remember right. Whereas our suburban doesn't say anything and the cold/hot marks are way closer together on it. Not a big deal, but with negative temps and thermostat installed I could probably drive for 10-15 minutes or so before the trans hits 70 (on my ram). Not that there's a lot of thermal expansion going on below 70 but at least a guy has a starting point.
That's what I was confused about. Cold check is simple but with these reduced temps, I'm not going to get to operating temp anytime soon with cooler weather, if at all. I do drive fast on the freeway but I don't tow with it. I did see a chart on another forum that showed a progressive line on a chart from cold to hot where it "should" be on the stick. Not sure if it was anything official or not but it made sense.

I didn't lose much when I changed it out so I guestimated about how much to put back in. And in checking for leaks days after, happened to notice my cooler lines look like they have a little dribble going. Annoying considering I have the older lines on my truck so replacing them with the updated part would have given me the lower temps anyway. Such is life I suppose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrSpork