Mod planning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really don't want to get into stupid arguments like this.
No argument man just putting information out for people to take into consideration. "Here are my thoughts and the data to back it up" not arguing.
Also, all the videos you're basing your knowledge and specs off of, are on a 6.0.
Yes. An engine that requires more air flow than a 5.3 by nature of being a larger displacement alone... if they can support that then they will do the same or better on a 5.3.
LS1 intake has no reason to even ben mentioned in this thread, not sure why you would bring that up. "can do intake", it will help. OP needs to figure out a lot of things.
At the end of your post you said
To keep it semi mild - (NOT FI)
Cam, and can do intake. If you want a little more after that, then heads. Beyond that, You need to research through other sections of the forum, and spend 1-2 times what the SUV is worth if you want it to be able to control that power
So we're you meaning intake tube or manifold? Because if you meant tube... okay. If you meant manifold, the best he could do is a TBSS. As it is the only one decent for a sub500 hp engine for a truck. I mentioned the ls1 as most people think a hot rod part cheap on ebay could gain them something. But in reality it will make it worse.
You're responding to me as if what I said was exactly what needs to be done, and not a quick answer to how to plan for their mods.

"Controlling it do you mean computer?"- What part of this wasn't clear?
Tuning needs to be a part of whatever you do: ~$500 to do it yourself, ~$500 to have someone do it for you once, ~+$1K to get something that will keep doing it for you.
What wasn't clear was whether or not you were specifying tuning the stock computer that is fine for 99 percent of anything guys on here are going to do.. or talking about the aftermarket garbage computers.
Again not trying to argue, just here is info look at it and decide if it works for you... or don't.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't say anything about LS1. Still not sure what you're referring to.

Yeah manifold. The TBSS intake is not the best, (which is a semi-relative answer). It's the best, factory intake, for low end.

Yeah tuning. Aftermarket computers are an option. Some are ridiculously outrageous and overkill for 99% of people, and some are decent options for the average person that wants to upgrade along the way, and have tuning easily handled. Holley Terminator is one of those and not considered to be junk. Certainly not something to rule out for someone else, when we don't know, and they don't know their plans yet.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting read........ ( long ago, I spoke with my friend, Doug Thorley ( Thorley Headers)..... He said, unless you are highly modifying your engine, after market headers are a waste of money).

Anyway..... You people suggest a "tune". My '05 Yukon 5.3 runs... fine...... But is there a 'Black Bear tune" that just improves my performance a little better? I don't drive it like a hot rod. But a little better 'launch' would be nice. ( worth the cost?)
No responses..... OK... got it...... I'll call Black Bear..... ( Duh )

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You people suggest a "tune". My '05 Yukon 5.3 runs ... fine ...
But is there a 'Black Bear tune" that just improves my performance a little better? I don't drive it like a hot rod.
But a little better 'launch' would be nice. ( worth the cost?)
Any tuner worth their salt is not going to give you a onesizefitsall canned tune.
When you go to a burger joint, you ask for what you want, and what you don't want.
Everyone gets a burger, built to taste.
A tune is a lot like that; except that if you fully understood what you want, and what you don't, you'd've already got tuned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019