New member/new Tahoe owner here (2010 LTZ)! Loving it so far, but getting the runaround on a repair quote and also have a few questions in general.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DamThatRiver24

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey there all; greetings from Wyoming! Wife and I were recently gifted (yes, really lol) a 2010 Tahoe LTZ after our 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid blew a motor. Almost perfect condition, currently has about 135k on it, barely a scratch on or in it. We absolutely love it. A couple light bulbs, wiper blades, a battery, and a rear glass switch and that's literally all she needed.

However, the air ride compressor is shot. You know the sound...the incredibly loud grating/grinding of a bad compressor every time it kicks on (i.e., on startup and then when load is placed on the rear...it's not running continuously, fwiw). Now, I've perused through the forums and watched a few vids on replacing it on my own...but those have actually made me even more bewildered at the quotes I've gotten from dealerships/shops and I need y'all's thoughts/opinions.

Our GM dealership says the compressor is $140 (seems in the ballpark) and 3-4 hrs book time (seems wildly high; isn't this like an hour job tops?). But they also seem to be confused as to what the actual part is and want us to bring it in for them to confirm (which is kind of a pita) before they can even order it. Did the Z55 package come from the factory with different compressor options? They said something about it possibly being a "smart" compressor, which struck me as odd because I haven't seen anything like that other than a few aftermarket kits. They also said the labor time differed within the mentioned range based on that. Whole thing seemed kinda weird. But, in conclusion, the overall price seems like about what I would have expected ($600 range).

Next up was the Ford dealership (we've owned Fords prior to this and they have been our preferred place for a while; they've been good to us...I know, surprising for a dealership). They are quoting us $1250 total. Opposite problem here: the part they are seeing is supposedly $1,000 (seems wildly high for just the compressor), while labor is only about an hour (more like what I thought it should be).

Thirdly was an independent shop we haven't used before but came highly recommended. He's quoting us $1550; about a thousand for the part (same as the Ford dealership) and over $500 in labor (both of which are insane to me)....and he was a bit pushy about doing a non-air ride conversion for $2200.

Now, most compressors I've seen are in the $150-250 range and are all the exact same type...and everyone I've seen here and in videos says it's like a half hour job DiY, and actual book time is around 1.5.

What am I missing here, and what is with the wildly different quotes between the three places? Again, this is JUST for the compressor. (I believe I may have a very (and I mean very) slow leak in the shocks themselves, but either way the compressor is done for and I'm floored at the fact that no one seems to know what's what. I just want to replace the thing, man!)

I'll do it on my own if I have to, but these quotes and some of the things said in passing from the shops have me second guessing whether or not I'm even getting the correct compressor. Lol. Are we sure it's the Dorman 949-099/Arnott P3242?

Anyway...couple of follow up questions:

I have no service history on this between 60k and current mileage of 135k. The manual is indicating 150k for trans service, but I'm seeing a lot of guys saying they do theirs every 30k (which seems crazy to me). What are y'all's thoughts? Do I need to do this absolutely immediately? (Was planning on doing the transfer case and coolant as well, fwiw.)

I'll also be doing the plugs/wires soon...historically I've used NGK Iridium IXs in everything I own, but I'm seeing a lot of guys say it's best to stick with the ACDelcos. Any input?

Last but not least...am I correct in that these things have no cabin air filter? Seems like a weird thing to skip out on, with all the other options that are on this thing. Lol.

Anyway, sorry for the long post and thanks a ton for reading. Glad to be a part of the club; this thing seems super nice and we're loving it.20230919_182411[1].jpg

Last edited:

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as I understand it the Dorman compressor is pretty good and shouldn't be to hard to swap yourself. Just wear someglasses, so much stuff falls in your eyes anytime you're under the back. Inspect the shocks, it's probably about time the go too?

ngk while good, just use oem plugs and wires. if you have any issues down the road you won't be guessing if it's plugs and wires related.

there is no cabin airfilter stock, but there's a dealer kit you can install one. check under the passenger side it might already have it. mine did, if not there's a tsb about adding it.

I'm not a tranny guy, but I believe you're running on borrowed time on that torque converter if oem. when it goes, it takes the tranny out which is $5k+ it seems by posts here. so if you can, get a upgraded converter and that fluid/filter change.

good luck with it.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Whoa, those folks really gave you the welcome fleecing treatment.

Seriously though it’s all really basic … cabin filter retrofit kit …

Google how to install it.

All the quotes you’ve been given are substantially for a compressor as well as two rear z55 active air struts. Let’s see here …

Compressor… $190-$345. Most have lifetime warranty. Some like Arnott also have thermal overload / overheating protection.
7A074550-02B4-4EA3-B897-F4165AD55AD3.jpeg

2 AC Delco rear z55 struts with a lifetime guarantee $308.79 ea
0E1EDB35-7538-46FE-9E6A-0EC6DB7D08B6.jpeg

Figure 2-$4h if it’s just the compressor and 9h-$1.1k if all three need replacing with a lifetime guarantee.

Watch how to swap em out on YouTube and it’ll blow u away how ez it is.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey there all; greetings from Wyoming! Wife and I were recently gifted (yes, really lol) a 2010 Tahoe LTZ after our 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid blew a motor. Almost perfect condition, currently has about 135k on it, barely a scratch on or in it. We absolutely love it. A couple light bulbs, wiper blades, a battery, and a rear glass switch and that's literally all she needed.

However, the air ride compressor is shot. You know the sound...the incredibly loud grating/grinding of a bad compressor every time it kicks on (i.e., on startup and then when load is placed on the rear...it's not running continuously, fwiw). Now, I've perused through the forums and watched a few vids on replacing it on my own...but those have actually made me even more bewildered at the quotes I've gotten from dealerships/shops and I need y'all's thoughts/opinions.

Our GM dealership says the compressor is $140 (seems in the ballpark) and 3-4 hrs book time (seems wildly high; isn't this like an hour job tops?). But they also seem to be confused as to what the actual part is and want us to bring it in for them to confirm (which is kind of a pita) before they can even order it. Did the Z55 package come from the factory with different compressor options? They said something about it possibly being a "smart" compressor, which struck me as odd because I haven't seen anything like that other than a few aftermarket kits. They also said the labor time differed within the mentioned range based on that. Whole thing seemed kinda weird. But, in conclusion, the overall price seems like about what I would have expected ($600 range).

Next up was the Ford dealership (we've owned Fords prior to this and they have been our preferred place for a while; they've been good to us...I know, surprising for a dealership). They are quoting us $1250 total. Opposite problem here: the part they are seeing is supposedly $1,000 (seems wildly high for just the compressor), while labor is only about an hour (more like what I thought it should be).

Thirdly was an independent shop we haven't used before but came highly recommended. He's quoting us $1550; about a thousand for the part (same as the Ford dealership) and over $500 in labor (both of which are insane to me)....and he was a bit pushy about doing a non-air ride conversion for $2200.

Now, most compressors I've seen are in the $150-250 range and are all the exact same type...and everyone I've seen here and in videos says it's like a half hour job DiY, and actual book time is around 1.5.

What am I missing here, and what is with the wildly different quotes between the three places? Again, this is JUST for the compressor. (I believe I may have a very (and I mean very) slow leak in the shocks themselves, but either way the compressor is done for and I'm floored at the fact that no one seems to know what's what. I just want to replace the thing, man!)

I'll do it on my own if I have to, but these quotes and some of the things said in passing from the shops have me second guessing whether or not I'm even getting the correct compressor. Lol. Are we sure it's the Dorman 949-099/Arnott P3242?

Anyway...couple of follow up questions:

I have no service history on this between 60k and current mileage of 135k. The manual is indicating 150k for trans service, but I'm seeing a lot of guys saying they do theirs every 30k (which seems crazy to me). What are y'all's thoughts? Do I need to do this absolutely immediately? (Was planning on doing the transfer case and coolant as well, fwiw.)

I'll also be doing the plugs/wires soon...historically I've used NGK Iridium IXs in everything I own, but I'm seeing a lot of guys say it's best to stick with the ACDelcos. Any input?

Last but not least...am I correct in that these things have no cabin air filter? Seems like a weird thing to skip out on, with all the other options that are on this thing. Lol.

Anyway, sorry for the long post and thanks a ton for reading. Glad to be a part of the club; this thing seems super nice and we're loving it.View attachment 424917
i will just say if you can get a compressor from the dealer for $140 grab it and run... that must be a mistake otherwise I would recomend the dorman
as for installing it, "3 bolts", "a wireharness", "a airline connector". super easy! you don't even need a jack. it's a minutes job, not hours.

I am one of those that has the transmission service done pretty much annually, so it could be 10k-15k, maybe a smidge more. it's cheap insurance my dealer charges like $219.

if you later decide to do the 2 rear shocks you can get the arnott z55 ones for like $250 each, they charge a $50 core per shock that gets refunded when you send your old ones back in. those you can also do pretty easily but will require a jack.

cabin filter can be retro-fitted the kit with filter is like $50, you just cut out the hole for it.

stick with ac delco plugs/wires

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Florida!

Aftermarket compressors do not talk to the computer system, the GM compressor does. I learned that from Joe if memory serves. @Joseph Garcia

150K transmission service is asking for it. The fluid is dead by 45K miles. Therefore, running the severe service schedule is required. Almost nobody qualifies for regular service use when you read the book. I change mine between 36-42K miles, when I get around to it. Clean fluids are cheap insurance to part longevity.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Hmmmn, interesting stuff. When I pull my dead compressor out I’ll see if it’s OEM on my 09.

Hey Arnott, why do you only buy back z55 and not z95 cores? Is it a Proposition 65 like thing here in CA and it causes cell mutations?

Welcome from Florida!

Aftermarket compressors do not talk to the computer system, the GM compressor does. I learned that from Joe if memory serves.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Florida!

Aftermarket compressors do not talk to the computer system, the GM compressor does. I learned that from Joe if memory serves. @Joseph Garcia

150K transmission service is asking for it. The fluid is dead by 45K miles. Therefore, running the severe service schedule is required. Almost nobody qualifies for regular service use when you read the book. I change mine between 36-42K miles, when I get around to it. Clean fluids are cheap insurance to part longevity.
never heard of the compressor not "talking" to the computer. I did not experience that when testing a couple of bad compressors. 1 gave erratic data and the other had a leaking relief valve. 3rd worked fine and has been for like 4 years now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar