The Impossible Mod?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello :)

So over the last few weeks I've had an idea bouncing around the old noggin, a complicated and expensive idea ... I've tried to kick it out of mind but I have failed. It's had me visiting GM dealerships staring at LTZ Tahoes spooking the salesmen. And should it be possible, I would certainly own the only HyHoe with this mod.

The premise is the following ... Tahoe Hybrids have a completely different front end. That is to say that bumper cover assembly, grilles, valance, and hood are designed differently. Furthermore the hood is made of aluminum instead of steel for weight reduction/fuel saving.

Now I've moded the front end as much as it can be moded:

picture.php

When you see the truck coming at you it really looks correct and beautiful ... however the side view is less than attractive to my eyes:

picture.php

The above pic doesn't show it well (if you google image tahoe hybrid you'll see), but those who have Tahoe hybrids will know, the bumper cover looks like a disproportionately low vertical piece of plastic that doesn't fit the low end lines of the truck.

So the project in my head goes as follows:

Swap bumper covers and hood for that of the LTZ

Forget the cost involved for a moment ... and let us consider the scope of this mod.

The first step would be to purchase this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEV..._Accessories&hash=item1c1b756524#ht_500wt_956

Okay that seems simple and expensive enough.

But consider the hood difference between the regular Tahoe and the Hybrid in shape:

2008-Chevrolet-Tahoe-Hybrid-Front-Rear-View.jpg

2007-chevrolet-tahoe-ltz-exterior-front-side-pictures.jpg

You will notice two major differences:

1. The lines at the top of the hood are different resulting in a different shape at its front.
2. The front of the hood sticks out further on the Tahoe hybrid to match the shape of the top of the bumper whose top also sticks out further.

From the inside the difference is like this:

picture.php

picture.php

I have gone to check this out in person and there's simply no way for me to swap for an LTZ front bumper assembly without also swapping for a regular Tahoe hood. All that will happen is that my hood will stick out an inch or two beyond of the regular Tahoe bumper, the lines won't match, and it probably won't even close properly.

So the answer is seemingly simple: If I really care enough to spend the money, swap bumper assy and hood and it's done.

Well, not so fast ...

I asked Elizabeth (GM customer Service rep on TYF) to investigate for me if a swap of hoods from that of the hybrid to that of the regular Tahoe is a straight plug and play swap. She was really kind to investigate for me, however she informed me that for some reason it is not, and could get for me the exact reason why as it was way outside the scope of what she has access to.

So I've been trying to find drawing to understand why. I can't for the life of me understand why the attachment points would be different between a Hybrid and a regular Tahoe. Sure the shape of the hood is slightly different, many things are on Hybrids, but they almost always attach at the same locations. :think:

So I need your help ...

I need to find out exactly what would be involved to swap a Tahoe Hybrid hood for a regular Tahoe hood?

Because if I can sort that out, the bumper assy is confirmed to be a straight swap, thus giving me the ability to complete this mod should I choose to go forward with it.

Sorry for the long thread, like I said this has been gnawing at me for a while and I just would like to know either way so I can either drop it or consider it.

Thanks for any help and/or input.

Cheers!

MOBmentality

Has a $25,000 Punch
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know this doesnt help.. but that low vertical line that looks like an extension of the fender looks good imo.. and judging by those two pics you just posted.. i like the hybrid alot better so this mod, to me, seems like a step in the wrong direction.

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand what you're saying Josh, and I haven't made a decision either way yet ... there are days that I love the different front end and other times I see the truck from the side and the front looks wrong to me.

5489_st0640_037.jpg

I just want to know if I can make the decision if I wanted to.

BillBlatt18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this doesnt help.. but that low vertical line that looks like an extension of the fender looks good imo.. and judging by those two pics you just posted.. i like the hybrid alot better so this mod, to me, seems like a step in the wrong direction.

I concur. Just trim the valance. I think it looks cleaner

Sent from my HTC THUNDERBOLT using tapatalk

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have considered:

1. Removing the valance
2. Trimming the valance
3. Having a more 'rounded' one fabricated from either carbon fiber or fiberglass

I appreciate that there are other options including leaving the whole thing as is.

But this thread was more an attempt to seek help in understanding the scope and details of what would be involved IF I wanted to do the above outlined mod. :waytogo:

Effeckt

Resident Cards Fan
Reaction score
I don't have an answer to your question but I will give my feedback. I personally think the Hybrid front end looks a lot better as well and that switching it would be a mistake. That said to fix your issue I think what I would do is look for an extension to the side skirts most likely to bring them down. It would most likely have to be a custom job but for the amount of coin you are considering for swapping the whole front end it most likely wouldn't be a big deal. I think the lower valance adds kind of an aggressive look to the front personally so that is the route I would be looking to go.

MOBmentality

Has a $25,000 Punch
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know.. i wonder if the hood issue has to do more with connectors than connection points.. i.e. maybe its a stiffer slam spring, a wider perch on the hood mounts to disperse weight over a greater area on the aluminum vs the steel.. stronger lift assist springs on the steel vs aluminum.. i guess i can think of a few reasons it wouldnt be a straight swap..
most having to do with weaker springs and different weight distribution to keep the aluminum safe.

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a very valid observation.

So the next logical question would be, if the above is true, would the purchase of the actual spring assy (the pneumatic looking thing that extends to hold up the hood when open) along with the hood remedy the weight issue?

The two brackets/pivots at the edges are part of the hood itself and each are a direct bolt on and stronger ones would come with a regular Tahoe hood.

Could someone with a nnbs Tahoe please take a pic for me of their brackets and extending arm with their hood up please?

MOBmentality

Has a $25,000 Punch
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a very valid observation.

So the next logical question would be, if the above is true, would the purchase of the actual spring assy (the pneumatic looking thing that extends to hold up the hood when open) along with the hood remedy the weight issue?

The two brackets/pivots at the edges are part of the hood itself and each are a direct bolt on and stronger ones would come with a regular Tahoe hood.

Could someone with a nnbs Tahoe please take a pic for me of their brackets and extending arm with their hood up please?

Without looking.. just assuming weight plus flimsy = different parts than Steel plus stiff.. i would say replacement list would be...

1: A hybrid of parts to create the connection points to the hood (different) to the truck (same) .. its possible.. there is a point where this would be a direct fit.. just not AT the hood..

2: Im assuming different lift struts (or lift assist springs.. i dont remember.. does ANYTHING still have lift assist springs?)

3: Latch assembly.. or possibly just modding the one you have.. just assuming the heavier hood might have a stiffer latch connection than the aluminum one..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
labans