Dave's 2006 Escalade AWD Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

W8TVI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just figured out not too long ago that mine are two different colors. Drivers side matched to top dash (dark), passenger side matched to the rest of it (light). View attachment 81127 View attachment 81128

At least in 2000, this was the color combinations they put on my Yukon XL 1500 SLT (ignore the darker gray dash bezel, I put that on there):

20170508_012248.jpg

EDIT: I just noticed that my headlight switch is a different shade of black in this photo.
It is a replacement I got on Amazon when the old one died.
Then look at the other "black" controls... I thought these trucks were supposed to be expensive... the fit and finish of a lot of these things sure don't make it seem that way.

20170508_012229.jpg
Who picks these color combinations?
Tan leather, center console, and some trim on the front doors and lower dash, then grey carpet and all the other plastic gray as well...

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At least in 2000, this was the color combinations they put on my Yukon XL 1500 SLT (ignore the darker gray dash bezel, I put that on there):

View attachment 81213

EDIT: I just noticed that my headlight switch is a different shade of black in this photo.
It is a replacement I got on Amazon when the old one died.
Then look at the other "black" controls... I thought these trucks were supposed to be expensive... the fit and finish of a lot of these things sure don't make it seem that way.

View attachment 81212
Who picks these color combinations?
Tan leather, center console, and some trim on the front doors and lower dash, then grey carpet and all the other plastic gray as well...
Funny how the different models are so vastly different from each other interior color wise. My denali is mostly all tan with the off white color on the middle of my tan leather seats. Which I like. The rest is mostly all tan, with the only exception being the dash bezel and the center console bezels being a light charcoal grey color. Which I don't inderstand the thinking behind that either. Why not make that tan like everything else. But I almost don't mind that grey color.

OP
OP
Onebadsss

Onebadsss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I know it's been awhile since I updated this build thread so I apologize for leaving everyone hanging! Won't bore you with gory details but I've had a hectic several weeks of work and some personal stuff going on mixed in so I just haven't had time to update until now...

First update, finally fixed the oil pressure sending unit (replaced with OEM ACDelco):

Before
Kr1Ve0a.jpg

Working in my parents' driveway (they are retired and live on Cape Cod so I was down with the family visiting and ofcourse had to get SOMETHING done on my to-do list for the Esky!)
JhFuitP.jpg

After
6IIHOtJ.jpg

Strangely this truck idles @ about 36-38psi and goes to about 48-50psi under load, which seems low to me as all my previous NBS trucks (both 5.3 and 6.0) idled @ 40psi and jumped up to 55-60psi under load o_O Anyone else's LQ9 running lower oil pressures like this?

I'm pissed at my iPhone because I had some other pics from doing this change out that I wanted to upload but somehow they became corrupted and I couldn't upload them! :manos:

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I know it's been awhile since I updated this build thread so I apologize for leaving everyone hanging! Won't bore you with gory details but I've had a hectic several weeks of work and some personal stuff going on mixed in so I just haven't had time to update until now...

First update, finally fixed the oil pressure sending unit (replaced with OEM ACDelco):

Before
Kr1Ve0a.jpg

Working in my parents' driveway (they are retired and live on Cape Cod so I was down with the family visiting and ofcourse had to get SOMETHING done on my to-do list for the Esky!)
JhFuitP.jpg

After
6IIHOtJ.jpg

Strangely this truck idles @ about 36-38psi and goes to about 48-50psi under load, which seems low to me as all my previous NBS trucks (both 5.3 and 6.0) idled @ 40psi and jumped up to 55-60psi under load o_O Anyone else's LQ9 running lower oil pressures like this?

I'm pissed at my iPhone because I had some other pics from doing this change out that I wanted to upload but somehow they became corrupted and I couldn't upload them! :manos:

In terms of the oil pressure mine idles at 40 or a hair under, under WOT its 50+ it's about the same as my 5.3 Silverado

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Onebadsss

Onebadsss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now probably the single biggest upgrade to date for the Esky (and something I've been dying to have the time and weather to do!) was to upgrade the factory Nav system to the super nice Kenwood Excelon DNX693S Nav unit I was running in my Silverado SS (I pulled it before the sale because the dude who bought it didn't want it, worked for me!). However for the Esky, I wanted to take it a step further and add not just a backup camera but a FRONT camera as well (a la 2015+ Escalades) to give my wife added peace of mind in being able to check front and back when parking and maneuvering):

One nice thing was that I already had the integration harness wiring done:
s0S1YhT.jpg

Ofcourse this install went down over Memorial Day weekend and where was I? At my parents' house again! It was nice having my Dad's help on this job though!:
yD9qF66.jpg

Dash apart (the only way to install a Nav unit in these trucks):
ACzBTXM.jpg

Here's the original spot I'd wanted to mount the front camera for a nice clean hide away:
6neYO1D.jpg

Here's where I ended up having to mount it for optimal viewpoint:
oszYvDw.jpg

I ran the cable along the hood release cable:
DonPs0n.jpg

And I used an existing firewall grommet as the passthru point (I hate drilling holes in vehicles if I don't have to!):
pKf7cAN.jpg

OP
OP
Onebadsss

Onebadsss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The backup camera brought it's own unique challenges as I once again wanted a clean mounting location that would be fairly hidden away and not require me to drill any holes in the Esky. So after considering options and looking at how I was going to have to run the cable back to the front to connect to the Nav unit, I opted to mount it on the trailer hitch:

xapxduM.jpg

After pulling up the rear step pad in the cargo bay I found a perfect hole to run the cable up through:
XEHDgzM.jpg

I also removed the factory 6-disc CD changer and wanted an OEM look solution for the hole left behind. So I purchased this little gem off eBay:
G3IyBYj.jpg

Using a dremel tool I cut out the lower pocket and shaped the flange to fit (had a bunch of pics of this process but ofcourse my iPhone f*cked up AGAIN and corrupted the files!):
Kop1ZhT.jpg

I rigged up this nonsense in order to glue the pocket to the backside of the factory upper console bracket:
Y4gkODO.jpg

I drilled a hole at the top very back of the pocket to run the Nav unit's USB cables thru for easy access to connect phones:
ZGuphRd.jpg

I'm very happy with the final result as it looks clean and the wife is excited to have the ability to play her iTunes and Pandora in the truck as well as have a place to put her phone :favorites37:

OP
OP
Onebadsss

Onebadsss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In terms of the oil pressure mine idles at 40 or a hair under, under WOT its 50+ it's about the same as my 5.3 Silverado

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good to know! According to what I've read online GM has a ridiculously low oil pressure limits for these trucks that are "okay" in their book but for me: if it idles @ 40psi / revs @ 50+ new then I would interpret a significant drop from that as a sign of an internal problem. I'm gonna take a sample at the next oil change and send it to Blackstone Labs just for peace of mind...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE