Build Log: Down8's Tahoe Has a Nickname

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

Down8

Reaction score
Why do you have to reboot the PC?
I was having some issue when I was posting stuff. Unrelated to the forum or whatever - my keyboard has been acting up & I thought that might help. It's still acting up. :shrug:

-bZj

OP
OP
D

Down8

Reaction score
1000000663.jpg
Got one of the new interior handles installed today. Didn't grab a picture of the flaky one I pulled off, but you've seen 'em.

It is freezing out (50-60°F = basically Antarctica in Cali Units), so my hands weren't working, and plastic was breaking. I smashed my finger trying to smash the pin in. At least I already had glue out to fix a broken tab on the switch panel - got plenty of use out of it.

1000000659.jpg

1000000660.jpg
Yes, I do use a $15 yoga mat for working on my truck.

I was getting ready to do the passenger rear, since I bought a 4pc set of handles. But upon inspection, it looked fine to me... given the pain I had just endured. So it'll do for now.
1000000664.jpg

Next up is the front pair, and the up-level mirrors, at the same time. That's for tomorrow, which should be a little warmer out.

-bZj

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yoga mat seems like a pretty fair idea. I use towels, myself. Or card board boxes flattened out.

Also, this could not have been a more timely post for me! I have a break of the same piece, but passenger side, front door. So thanks!

OP
OP
D

Down8

Reaction score
OK, got the front passenger interior handle done today, along with my up-level side mirror. Naturally, there was a broken clip to repair. I am getting a ton of use out of the JB Weld superglue.

PXL_20231215_221651242.jpg

While the blinkers on the mirrors work - and they are amber, not red, which I like so far - the courtesy lamps do not. I didn't bother to see if there were actually any bulbs in them, so hopefully that's all the issue is. I didn't get the full folding DL3 set-ups, so didn't replace the window switch panel(s). Hopefully that's not the problem.

Anyhow, handle replaced, and looking good:
PXL_20231216_001857675.jpg

I only looked into the mirrors initially b/c there is a crack that went all the way through my passenger side. I was just looking to replace the glass. It's hard to see, but it's there:
PXL_20231215_214222721.png

The paint itself has some scratches, but all the lower black section has been replaced (came with textured plastic covers). The worrying thing is that the caps had different clips. So I'm a little worried that it could fall off with enough bumpy road travel. I need to confirm that the heating works, as well.

The old one:
PXL_20231215_214233308.jpg

I'll get an overall exterior picture, once I get the driver's side handle/mirror done this weekend.

-bZj

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, got the front passenger interior handle done today, along with my up-level side mirror. Naturally, there was a broken clip to repair. I am getting a ton of use out of the JB Weld superglue.

View attachment 416633

While the blinkers on the mirrors work - and they are amber, not red, which I like so far - the courtesy lamps do not. I didn't bother to see if there were actually any bulbs in them, so hopefully that's all the issue is. I didn't get the full folding DL3 set-ups, so didn't replace the window switch panel(s). Hopefully that's not the problem.

Anyhow, handle replaced, and looking good:
View attachment 416635

I only looked into the mirrors initially b/c there is a crack that went all the way through my passenger side. I was just looking to replace the glass. It's hard to see, but it's there:
View attachment 416634

The paint itself has some scratches, but all the lower black section has been replaced (came with textured plastic covers). The worrying thing is that the caps had different clips. So I'm a little worried that it could fall off with enough bumpy road travel. I need to confirm that the heating works, as well.

The old one:
View attachment 416636

I'll get an overall exterior picture, once I get the driver's side handle/mirror done this weekend.

-bZj
Drop a little, clear, silicone sealer to make sure a bump doesn't knock it off.

OP
OP
D

Down8

Reaction score
Drop a little, clear, silicone sealer to make sure a bump doesn't knock it off.
Good idea. May need to do both sides, since I busted one of the clips off the mirror cap for the driver's side doing it today. :sad72:

Pulled this old 'n' busted one:
PXL_20231216_204147272.jpg

Man, lots of nastiness in there:
PXL_20231216_210025370.jpg
It's all cleaned in there now, of course.

Every. Single. One. Of these clips has broken off on one side:
PXL_20231216_204438030.jpg
They go right back in, but so annoying.

Tada:
PXL_20231216_230244558.png
Bad picture, but it's done.

Had to fix broken clips on the triangle above the door panel, and broke one pulling the panel off. I put a drop of it on each end of the pins that hold in the handles themselves. I felt like hitting it any harder would risk breaking it. Should be fine™....

So now all my interior handles look night and shiny, non-flaky, which is nice. My OCD is itching, b/c cleaning out the nastiness that I know is in that last door panel would just be nice to do....

-bZj

OP
OP
D

Down8

Reaction score
Also replaced the mirror. Didn't go as well as the passenger side.

Naturally the driver's side, which I will see the most, has less-than-stellar build quality:
PXL_20231216_222027093.jpg
I trimmed it up, so it's not so bad now. But I may go JB Weld-crazy on it, for fun.

I broke a clip on the driver's mirror cap, so I'm rocking the black textured cap for a bit:
PXL_20231216_234407527.jpg
I don't mind it, actually. I mean, if I matched them, of course.

But I am lopsided for now:
PXL_20231216_234417120.jpg

I was investigating the reason for the the puddle lamps not coming on, and wanted to check for bulbs. I pulled the driver's side lamp, but broke it. I am just the terror of the plastic clip world on this part of the project.

So I have the lamp housing, and the mirror cap glued and waiting for (hopefully) re-install tomorrow:
PXL_20231217_071858840.MP.jpg
I do not have much faith in that housing clip surviving.

There was a bulb in there, so maybe I need to get the stupid switch & have it programmed...? Not sure if that's worth it. We'll see. I'm going to have to grab some silicone to ensure these all stay on the damn truck.

I have a single, large crack in the dash, so I have a dash mat. Finally put the velcro strips down today, b/c my window shade can move the dash mat around sometimes.
PXL_20231216_232546789.jpg

I've got to jump back to the first post here & update what I've gotten done so far....

-bZj

OP
OP
D

Down8

Reaction score
Well, the puddle lamp popped right in. Glad for that. Just need to figure out about how to get them working.

The cap struggled a bit, but its on there. Not planning on doing significant offroading, so it should hold.

-bZj

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The mirrors are typically cheap on FB Marketplace. Maybe just buy a replacement -- or parts to fix yours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar