Ford Expedition build thread.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got to thinking (now my head hurts) and I'm going to be making subtle changes to the Expedition I recently got. I figure to start a build thread here. I'm not going to raise or lower it, but I have a knack for subtle changes making a big difference. Here is what I'm starting with.

Resized_20240216_133838.jpegResized_20240216_133838.jpegResized_20240216_133905.jpegResized_20240216_133920 (1).jpegResized_20240216_133938 (1).jpeg

There will be a lot of things you won't see. I used the heat for the first time today and realized the previous owner was a heavy smoker. Now I smell like an ash tray. Ozium, here I come.

OP
OP
grouch

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After some general clean up, my first repair was the brakes. The PO said the LF brake hose was failing. There was a definite pull to the right at times when the brakes were applied, but it didn't feel like a bum hose. More like a caliper issue. A dial indicator showed excessive run out on the LF rotor. The hoses were weathered so I ordered new flex hoses, both side, calipers and rotors. Tear down went okay except who ever put the wheels on last, hammered them on with a torque wrench. I'm about 210 pounds and used a 6 foot cheater pipe on a breaker bar (that was bowing under my weight and leverage) to break the lug nuts loose. Then I had to use pry bars to get the aluminum wheels off the steel rotors where electrolysis fused them together. I guess nobody told them about Never-Sieze or even disc brake grease. This is in my driveway at my shop with all my tools handy. Changing the spare on the road would have been bad.

Here's what I found upon tear down;
Resized_20240211_142802.jpeg

That caliper hasn't worked properly in a long time. Usually, there is no rust on the pads and factory bevels wear off fairly quick.

After replacing all the bad parts, I did a total brake flush. Once the chocolate syrup was out of the lines, I took it out on the Expressway near my house to bed to pads and season the new rotors. A couple of hard pulls and it pulled the 5500 pounds down from speed nice and smooth. I now have brakes that will stop a politician from asking for money. :drunk:

OP
OP
grouch

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took the Furd out last night to the grocery and realized the headlights were useless. I already had some new ones. They're made of Chinesium, but at least they are clear. Marked the aim of the old ones with tape on the garage door and swapped the new ones in.

Resized_20240216_133905.jpeg

Now for the new ones.

Resized_20240218_140459.jpeg

The new ones made the car look about 10-15 years newer. I can see at night too!

OP
OP
grouch

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And here I was, thinking this forum was for GM vehicles. Silly me.

What works for one, often works on others. As much as designs vary, basic mechanics are similar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts