Dave's 2006 Escalade AWD Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The backup camera brought it's own unique challenges as I once again wanted a clean mounting location that would be fairly hidden away and not require me to drill any holes in the Esky. So after considering options and looking at how I was going to have to run the cable back to the front to connect to the Nav unit, I opted to mount it on the trailer hitch:

xapxduM.jpg

After pulling up the rear step pad in the cargo bay I found a perfect hole to run the cable up through:
XEHDgzM.jpg

I also removed the factory 6-disc CD changer and wanted an OEM look solution for the hole left behind. So I purchased this little gem off eBay:
G3IyBYj.jpg

Using a dremel tool I cut out the lower pocket and shaped the flange to fit (had a bunch of pics of this process but ofcourse my iPhone f*cked up AGAIN and corrupted the files!):
Kop1ZhT.jpg

I rigged up this nonsense in order to glue the pocket to the backside of the factory upper console bracket:
Y4gkODO.jpg

I drilled a hole at the top very back of the pocket to run the Nav unit's USB cables thru for easy access to connect phones:
ZGuphRd.jpg

I'm very happy with the final result as it looks clean and the wife is excited to have the ability to play her iTunes and Pandora in the truck as well as have a place to put her phone :favorites37:

Love this setup I need to do some kind of double din head unit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Onebadsss

Onebadsss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So when the family and I arrived home last Sunday night I was excited to find these waiting at my door!:

kSAWsVV.jpg

wUoCeXx.jpg

I ordered everything from Richmond Auto Upholstery and am very happy with the quality!

OP
OP
Onebadsss

Onebadsss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love this setup I need to do some kind of double din head unit

Do it man! I'm happy to help with the install as I've installed Double DIN head units in every NBS truck I've owned so I can take the ash apart in my sleep now, lol!

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do it man! I'm happy to help with the install as I've installed Double DIN head units in every NBS truck I've owned so I can take the ash apart in my sleep now, lol!

I'm gonna do a non navigation head unit, I know there is some bracket in the dash you need to modify to make deeper ones fit, is that the reason for pulling the top of the dash?

OP
OP
Onebadsss

Onebadsss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So this is what the factory original driver's seat looked like. It was worn out, cracked and peeling and the seat foam was tired (the outer bolster was completely flattened out and the whole seat felt like an old lazyboy recliner, lol):

FaC0V2P.jpg

I completely removed the lower seat cushion (this was a PITA):
5YffD1v.jpg

The underside of the factory leather says it all:
mlcMW4N.jpg

The outer bolster was toast. Foam underlayment gone, the leather itself was starting to wear thin too:
6zkjHLq.jpg

The foam was no better, definitely supported my decision to replace it all:
CGiwUxL.jpg

Just for peace of mind I also installed a new OEM heating element because I only want to do this job ONCE:
NsB495s.jpg

The new leather cover has nice foam underlayment all around. Very well constructed:
6aXULO7.jpg

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So this is what the factory original driver's seat looked like. It was worn out, cracked and peeling and the seat foam was tired (the outer bolster was completely flattened out and the whole seat felt like an old lazyboy recliner, lol):

FaC0V2P.jpg

I completely removed the lower seat cushion (this was a PITA):
5YffD1v.jpg

The underside of the factory leather says it all:
mlcMW4N.jpg

The outer bolster was toast. Foam underlayment gone, the leather itself was starting to wear thin too:
6zkjHLq.jpg

The foam was no better, definitely supported my decision to replace it all:
CGiwUxL.jpg

Just for peace of mind I also installed a new OEM heating element because I only want to do this job ONCE:
NsB495s.jpg

The new leather cover has nice foam underlayment all around. Very well constructed:
6aXULO7.jpg

You got a part number on that heater element?

OP
OP
Onebadsss

Onebadsss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna do a non navigation head unit, I know there is some bracket in the dash you need to modify to make deeper ones fit, is that the reason for pulling the top of the dash?

There is a center bar to the radio bucket you might have to cut depending on how deep the unit sits, but my reasoning for pulled the dash cover is to allow a much easier time fishing all the excess wiring back into the wide open spaces back there. Plus it allowed me to mount the GPS antenna in the factory location

Last edited:
OP
OP
Onebadsss

Onebadsss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
Onebadsss

Onebadsss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm not gonna lie: installing the new leather seat cover was a royal PITFA!! I'm not sure if it was an issue with the fitment or the fact that I installed it over brand new seat foam (probably the issue) but no matter how hard I tried I could not get it to sit perfectly aligned over the velcro strips in that "half moon" shape AND get both ends clipped in place. Sooooo I'm gonna let it break in for a few months and then try to realign it:

4XNnlna.jpg

I will say this though: the seat feels AMAZING with new foam! Night and day difference and I highly recommend to anyone who's going to hassle with replacing the leather to do the seat foam at the same time, totally worth the extra $125! And the way new leather on the seat and the center console transformed the look and feel of sitting at the helm of this beast put a huge smile on both mine and my wife's face!

OP
OP
Onebadsss

Onebadsss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that I picked up this handy little socket on Amazon for about $9 that made the seat base removal much easier and safer (no risk of stripping the nuts!):

nHgKBQh.jpg

QSAJesw.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Franny