OR VietVet Build thread for 2006 Yukon Denali XL-Cancelled

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
This is a 2006 GMC Yukon Denali XL. Has the 6.0 engine. Has the second row Captain's chairs. It has 136k miles on it. Same mileage I had on my 2005 Tahoe when I bought it. Is the same Silver Birch Metallic paint color. The interior is very nice condition and comes with 50% left on Michelin Defender LTXMS tires. I like that it has the hydro-boost brakes, just like my Tahoe. Can sure tell the difference from the 5.3 engine. My 5.3 feels very stock till I allow the BBP traditional tune to do it's stuff. Then that 5.3 feels like this 6.0 AWD XL. At the end of this, I hope to have the same reliable rig that I know my Tahoe is.

I figured I needed to start this thread with another vehicle I just bought. I have already got the engine covers off and have gotten the ignition coil numbers for plug wires reference and will be pulling a plug or two to see if has been changed. I did get some paperwork from the previous owner but nothing about plugs and wires at 100k miles.

Ordered today from RA: both second row Captain's chairs levers for the seat back recline to lay flat for cargo. Original missing one and the other is stripped out. The release does work, I used vise grips.

Next will be a complete fluid changeover because all I see in the paperwork is oil changes and recommendations for diff services. More info to come as I get deeper in this.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!!!!

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the factory would have put AC Delco plug wires on these?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the factory would have put AC Delco plug wires on these?

I thought they were labeled "Packard" up until the GMT900s. Although, they might've switched between Packard and AC Delco depending on what was in the nearest box on the assembly line. I think they're all the same wire, though. They're 200K+ wires. If they all ohm out, they're fine. If you "just wanna be sure" and throw money at it, replace 'em and keep the old ones as spares for someone breaking a wire due to a stuck boot.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I thought they were labeled "Packard" up until the GMT900s. Although, they might've switched between Packard and AC Delco depending on what was in the nearest box on the assembly line. I think they're all the same wire, though. They're 200K+ wires. If they all ohm out, they're fine. If you "just wanna be sure" and throw money at it, replace 'em and keep the old ones as spares for someone breaking a wire due to a stuck boot.
My decision will be made when I check the plugs. Plus, I only looked at one wire so far and maybe it is a single replacement wire and that is the one I looked at. Will likely pull two plugs this afternoon.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Did not pull plugs today. My water pump job, that I did yesterday on a 99 GMC Yukon for the guy that I bought the Denali from, called and wanted an inspection of the steering for a popping noise under his feet. Found a pitman arm popping up and down at the ball socket and both outer tie rods doing the same thing. I also pointed out an oil leak and found is leaking from oil filter adaptor/housing gasket. He paid me my fee of $40 and gave me money for the parts and will come back for the work.

I am going to get my Denali purchase money back, a little at a time. :chewie:

SirReal63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are better than I am, if I pull one I usually pull all 8, if I pull all 8 then I am going back in with new OEM plugs.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Rock Auto lists both GM Genuine and ACDelco, so the GM Genuine would be original equipment. Not that you could go wrong with the ACDelcos.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You are better than I am, if I pull one I usually pull all 8, if I pull all 8 then I am going back in with new OEM plugs.
I am the same way but I want to see what is in there and the condition. It runs fine with a smooth idle and lots of power but it is my inspection process. You can ask others here and also read my build thread on my Tahoe and you will see that I do replace items as a group and before they are worn out and causing concern. This truck will be no different.
Rock Auto lists both GM Genuine and ACDelco, so the GM Genuine would be original equipment. Not that you could go wrong with the ACDelcos.
I have no problem with the AC Delco plug wires. I was only assuming they may or may not have been done with plugs because I found no paperwork for that work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar