Build Log: Down8's Tahoe Has a Nickname

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's done what I asked: change tire size so my speedo is correct (w/in 1mph, per Google Maps), and deleted AFM/DoD (always in V8 mode). I haven't worked on the tunes yet, so can't comment. As the truck is new to me, I haven't beat on it much.

I fixed my rear defrost, using the Permatex stuff. Only minor frost yesterday, but the rear was working! The pass. window however didn't seem to be doing much. I didn't investigate, though. Anyone have any ideas about that?

-bZj
I just soldered mine. Ok cool I'm a get the i3 tuner and turn off dod and the speed limiter off and get diablew to remote tune it eventually

OP
OP
D

Down8

Reaction score
I did a cut+polish to clean up the body sides today. Man, even using the $10-12 Turtle Wax compound, it came out amazing!

Before:
PXL_20231115_011537752.NIGHT.jpg

During:
PXL_20231124_204520733.jpg
Rubber shit everywhere, from the eraser wheel.

After:
PXL_20231124_235043470.jpg
The compound is a mess, too. It was on my steps, and mirrors, and the window sills. Will need a little scrubbing to come off completely.

Progress:
PXL_20231125_002245807.png

It has me reconsidering putting on new BSMs.... Letters come off tomorrow. Will rock it naked for a few days & see how I feel about it. But I'm still leaning towards putting the new one's on - they'll be nice, I think. I have some "custom badging" in mind - very minimalist - but no rush.

Any special compounds needed for these stock 20s? They need to be polished up, and the tires need some tire-shine/scrubbing.

-bZj

OP
OP
D

Down8

Reaction score
Where did you purchase the seat covers? the foam?

Seat cover:
www.amazon.com/dp/B094XNBLK9
Matches better than the armrest does.

Foam:
It did not have the velcro that the cover should attach to near the back of the seat. My cover is just wedged in there, between the foam and the seat frame. I'm keeping an eye on it for movement.

-bZj
So the seat is not holding up as well as I'd hoped:
PXL_20231121_231523503.jpg

Major wrinkle at the rear. This is contributed by not having the velcro hold down on the foam bottom, and the foam itself being a little smaller, maybe, than stock. Or the cover being a bit large, but the gap to the side panel/control points to the foam. Any thoughts on a fix? I am thinking I can pull it apart, and find a way to stitch the two sides to them selves, instead of velcro'ing to the foam. I may also slice off a part of the old foam and see if it'll fit in there to bulk up the bolstering....

Another item, seeking ideas:
PXL_20231121_231528649.jpg

Little nicks in the top of the driver's door panel. Would the leather repair stuff be the best option here? Or just superglue it and don't stress?

I might get up to replacing the washer motor this weekend. Contemplating doing the rear as well, given it seems like such a pain to get to. Need to get it done ASAP, with weather changing.

-bZj

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has me reconsidering putting on new BSMs.... Letters come off tomorrow. Will rock it naked for a few days & see how I feel about it. But I'm still leaning towards putting the new one's on - they'll be nice, I think.

I've thought about it. My "Tahoe Twin" buddy has a Graystone '09 that he had repainted and left the BSMs off. It's a clean look. But I keep thinking it's too plain. The previous body style was more rounded and no BSMs looks better on them. Our body style has some edges and angles to it and I think the BSMs complement them. Never mind the protection factor.

I'm actually wanting to see how your look when/if you install them. They're lower-profile than the stock ones and more rounded. I like the angles on the stock ones.

OP
OP
D

Down8

Reaction score
I've thought about it. My "Tahoe Twin" buddy has a Graystone '09 that he had repainted and left the BSMs off. It's a clean look. But I keep thinking it's too plain. The previous body style was more rounded and no BSMs looks better on them. Our body style has some edges and angles to it and I think the BSMs complement them. Never mind the protection factor.

I'm actually wanting to see how your look when/if you install them. They're lower-profile than the stock ones and more rounded. I like the angles on the stock ones.
I think the same: the slab-sidedness of this generation are just... wanting for something. And after trading in my 2005 for a 2010 Duramax, the steel actually felt thinner. So I feel the need for the protection on that big ol' slab of thin steel.

I liked the simple "chrome" arrow strips on my 2002 Sierra (if I could find those, for maybe an extended cab, I might have considered using them). The painted set I got gives me similar vibes. I have an appointment at my old University on Monday, so I might get these installed tomorrow. Parking near a bunch of kids in their parents hand-me-downs could spell danger.... <Checks Streetview for current street parking situation>

-bZj

OP
OP
D

Down8

Reaction score
My meeting at the Uni went well. No dings, b/c I parked so as to make it nearly impossible.

Here's the new BSM applied. It was a little nerve-wracking lining up the masking tape, and measuring multiple times to make sure it was as close to 14.5" from the bottom all along the way. I was checking against the top and found about 1" of rake built into the panels themselves (as measured from the first crease leading to the window openings).

Lining it out:
PXL_20231128_211557534.png

Laying them out before swabbing with alcohol wipes and applying the adhesive promoter:
PXL_20231128_220914524.MP.jpg
I had to break out my other hobby's tools: a pair of tiny tweezers (for grabbing wayward screws in computers) to get behind the molding & grab the red tape when it broke once or twice, or even to get it started on some pieces.

Applied, after using the heatgun a bit, b/c it is a bit chilly in CA right now:
PXL_20231128_223230935 (Large).jpg
The running boards need new love b/c the cut/polish compound used to clean up after debadging got all over them and hasn't washed off.

Comparison to old BSM I removed:
PXL_20231128_225046580.MP.jpg
The slimmer nature of these avoids that strange, but necessary, cutout on the rear piece. I'm still impressed by the paint match/quality. Link for those interested.

Overall progress:
PXL_20231128_225930661 (Large).jpg
(I don't know why it looks like I just got backed into - it's just a weird reflection though. <knockWood>) Wheels/tires still haven't had their turn at detailing. I need to rectify that.

I have new interior door handles, new side mirrors with puddle lamps & indicators, and some plastic JB Weld to fix a broken clip on a door switch, so I can go into the door panels once and get everything taken care of at one go.

I also ordered the Z71 Moog springs, a new CV axle, and some steering links. Given my 2" front leveling, tossing in the rear springs shouldn't give me more than normal rake, and I want to get an idea if I might need a spacer if I go a bit higher up front. I'd like 0.75-1.0" of rake in the end.

I was this >||< close to jumping on Eibach's Pro-Truck set-up over Black Friday/Cyber Monday, but decided I'd wait to buy gifts for the family before spending so much on myself. (Not like I haven't dropped a ton of cash on the truck since I got it, but still....)

-bZj

Jimgeorge

Reaction score
Let's do some exterior. Here's the new air dam:
View attachment 414530
Front end is so low for a 4WD - like scraping curbs low. This told me I must at lease level the front, as a moral imperative.

Here are the new headlamps. Man, these are a massive pain to install. Well, just more difficult than other trucks. Open heart surgery:
View attachment 414531

Prep:
View attachment 414532

Finis!:
View attachment 414538

I need to reboot PC. More to come.

-bZj
Why do you have to reboot the PC?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member