Anyone have a door fill up with water?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blue99tahoe24

bout that tahoe life
Reaction score
My monte carlo did it before aftera reall bad storm i took it to a shoot and the guy said some holes were clogged and cleaned then out with a air hose

foot to the floor

AJ847

Reaction score
Well, this happened to me this morning. It rained here the last week and I've been driving the truck every single day, but the rear doors were never opened until this morning. When I went to grab something from my back seat, I heard what sounded like a half full bottle of water slosh around when I opened the door. I started swinging the door back and forth and then all of a sudden water started to gush out of the bottom of the door, there must have been at least a gallon or two because it took 20 minutes for the water to stop draining.

I already called the dealership to make an appointment to have them see if it can be fixed without any expense to me, and more importantly I want this documented in case my door starts to rust I better damn well get a new door.

After collecting myself and finding this thread, I need to check to see what that drain hole looks like that was pictured here, I don't recall seeing it. I worry that if the water was draining out of a different place it was a rust induced hole since I didn't spot the drain hole.

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, this happened to me this morning. It rained here the last week and I've been driving the truck every single day, but the rear doors were never opened until this morning. When I went to grab something from my back seat, I heard what sounded like a half full bottle of water slosh around when I opened the door. I started swinging the door back and forth and then all of a sudden water started to gush out of the bottom of the door, there must have been at least a gallon or two because it took 20 minutes for the water to stop draining.

I already called the dealership to make an appointment to have them see if it can be fixed without any expense to me, and more importantly I want this documented in case my door starts to rust I better damn well get a new door.

After collecting myself and finding this thread, I need to check to see what that drain hole looks like that was pictured here, I don't recall seeing it. I worry that if the water was draining out of a different place it was a rust induced hole since I didn't spot the drain hole.

AJ847,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing an issue with your rear doors. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Safe travels,

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

Sheriff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
.... and more importantly I want this documented in case my door starts to rust I better damn well get a new door.

Don't ever bank on that thought. GM recently recorded record profits. And the loyal GM customers got reamed twice to help them achieve this.... first, they were ones paying the taxes to bail GM out of bankruptcy, and secondly, they were denied warranty coverage on things that should have been covered. It cost me $350 plus whatever portion of my taxes were handed over to them!

Last edited:

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't ever bank on that thought. GM recently recorded record profits. And the loyal GM customers got reamed twice to help them achieve this.... first, they were ones paying the taxes to bail GM out of bankruptcy, and secondly, they were denied warranty coverage on things that should have been covered. It cost me $350 plus whatever portion of my taxes were handed over to them!

or you could buy a new ford with a heated tailgate so your hands stay warm as you push it home :High 5:

raress9596

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Solution to door filling with water

I started a thread about this a little while back. Solution is to look up behind the bottom door seals. On the front door between the door seal and the bottom edge of the door there are two little plastic caps or plugs. Pop them out with your fingernails to open the drains. Water will pour out. Back doors have one in each. I did this on my 2010 that my son now has with 100,000 miles. I forgot all about it till I heard the water sloshing around in the doors of my 2012. While you're at it pop out the ones at the bottom of the tailgate also. I did this on many previous GM vehicles over the years. Actually a GM Tech told me about doing this years ago. I haven't figured out why G.M. puts them in there in the first place. There will be less rust issues if you get the water to drain out of the doors faster. Believe me this works!

doc_sun

Scotcher
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd refresh this thread to remind everyone of some important preventative maintenance. Good to periodically check your door drains for water and clogs every now and then. Had about a pint flow out of my rear passenger door yesterday after cleaning.

jonesh529

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well I just had this same issue with my Tahoe. I need to check the drain holes in it. I hate that this is an issue. I will report back after I check on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TiGrayMSM