Anyone have a door fill up with water?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raress9596

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I just had this same issue with my Tahoe. I need to check the drain holes in it. I hate that this is an issue. I will report back after I check on it.

I was the original poster way back. I almost forgot to look at the bottoms of the doors in my 2015 till just now. Remove the plugs at the bottom of your doors and your good to go. The window seal will never keep water out. Don't believe they were intended too. I've owned a long list of GM trucks and never had a door rust.

jonesh529

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was the original poster way back. I almost forgot to look at the bottoms of the doors in my 2015 till just now. Remove the plugs at the bottom of your doors and your good to go. The window seal will never keep water out. Don't believe they were intended too. I've owned a long list of GM trucks and never had a door rust.

which plugs are you referring to? Do you have a pic of the plugs? Also what is the best way to clean out the little whole in the door that gets clogged?

thanks

CHOO CHOO

BackPagePhil
Reaction score
Love little tid bits like this, I'll be checking my doors tonight.. I've heard sloshing before too! :grd:
I had to pull mine out a long time ago. **** was full of water....mind boggling if you ask me that we pay this much money to have the inside of a door fill with water.....

fire730

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not supposed to be sealed. Just like a sunroof its going to have water flow through it.

Keep the drains clean and you will be fine.

I just use a tie wrap (zip tie) to make sure the holes in the bottom of the door are clear to flow water.

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Part of our car wash procedure now is to run a towel between the lower door seal and the inner door panel, and to run a Q-tip into the door drains. It seems to help, even with the Biblical rains we've had recently.

63Blackseries

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had heavy rain for a few days and heard water swooshing around while driving, thought some one had left a water jug and hid it some where until i opened the right rear passenger door it was filled up with water WTF!, found the drain plug and at least 1 gallon of water drained out, weird never had this problem with NBS or previous NNBS years.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should I be worried about this on my 2006 Denali xl? Never had an issue like this with my 1999 Dakota or 2001 durango. I wash my car often because I'm an incredibly **** detailer that likes to have a clean car. I always clean out my door jams very thoroughly because I'm incredibly meticulous but is that enough to keep those door drains clear? Didn't know there was such a thing. And why would the window seals not keep water out? Isn't that kind of the point of a seal? To keep unwanted water out?!

fire730

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've only encountered the problems on the shorter trucks. (Tahoe & Yukon) I'm guessing it has a tighter drain because of the door configuration because of the rear wheel. (Don't quote me on that - Just my observation)

The seal keeps a lot of the water out but some water does go through the inside of the door. Which is the reason for the drains.