Anyone have a door fill up with water?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should I be worried about this on my 2006 Denali xl? Never had an issue like this with my 1999 Dakota or 2001 durango. I wash my car often because I'm an incredibly **** detailer that likes to have a clean car. I always clean out my door jams very thoroughly because I'm incredibly meticulous but is that enough to keep those door drains clear? Didn't know there was such a thing. And why would the window seals not keep water out? Isn't that kind of the point of a seal? To keep unwanted water out?!

Living in southern California, you probably have nothing to worry about. You can check, though. The drains are along the bottom of the door. You may have to lift the door seal up a bit to see them. If they're clogged, it's easy enough to run a Q-Tip through them a couple of times to clean them out.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Living in southern California, you probably have nothing to worry about. You can check, though. The drains are along the bottom of the door. You may have to lift the door seal up a bit to see them. If they're clogged, it's easy enough to run a Q-Tip through them a couple of times to clean them out.
I live up in the mountains and we get a fair amount of rain and snow in the winter time. I checked it this morning while I was working on my house mates 2005 esky esv and ran q a tip through mine. Mine were totally dry and no dirt came out. But I ran q tips through all four of the doors on the esky across those little slots on the bottom. Only one the back passenger side door had a little moisture in it but no dirt clogging. Which is interesting because she stays home most days with their kids and her car doesn't get driven anywhere near as much as mine does. Caddy, as we just call it, will often sit in the level driveway for a couple days at a time where as I my Denali gets driven every day because I run my mobile detailing business with it. I would have expected more moisture built up in hers. But it has been pretty dry the last two weeks now.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just discovered the huge sloshing sound in my rig while pulling away from a STOP sign a quarter-mile from my house yesterday. Pulled into my garage, opened the door, unplugged the drain, and then almost a quart of water flowed out.
Uggghhhhh

63Blackseries

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just discovered the huge sloshing sound in my rig while pulling away from a STOP sign a quarter-mile from my house yesterday. Pulled into my garage, opened the door, unplugged the drain, and then almost a quart of water flowed out.
Uggghhhhh

yup i get it every time it rain's hard, always on the right rear door though the drain holes must be clogged?

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of things occur in all parts of a vehicle, but I never would have dreamed I would have to check the doors of a modern vehicle to manually drain them of water after a heavy rain.

o_O

eagle-co94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen on my 2005 Cadillac CTS-V. It turns out the door drains were all clogged with debris. I ran my fingers underneath the gasket and cleared the holes and it took several minutes to drain it all out but never had the problem again after that.

Deanna

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Had the same problem with same rear passenger door on my '08 Denali this week. Got to looking around at door for place for water get in. Mine has at least 1/4" gap in the metal seam at the top front edge of door. Must be where it got in. Other door has a gap but much more narrow.

Brian Wilson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I gave up on keeping the water out. I just opened the drain holes up with a dremel