Yukon water torture

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sadguy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Bought the 2022 Yukon Dura Max with 5500 miles on it from my son. When he had bought it new it developed a leak promptly in the exhaust manifold. The dealer replaced it to no avail and told him they couldn’t fix it. Took it to another dealer with same results. Being farmers we fixed it ourselves. We had to cut the manifold and reweld it and it works yet 40K miles later. We also kept loosing the water out of our windshield washer and they replaced the pump unit but still leaked again. Finally the leak was found going to the rear washer in a line above the spare tire. On nearly a monthly basis when the computer updated something would malfunction afterwards and back to the service center to get it corrected. The computer is worse than any of the twenty some vehicles I have ever owned. That being said, when the Yukon works we love it. It has great power rides nice. Today I am off to trade it as I cannot afford to spend a couple days a month keeping it running. It’s my wife’s ride and you really like to keep her happy. Probably going to try a Toyota.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the manifold was replaced, but somehow a brand new manifold was still cracked and you fixed it by welding it... OK.

And the final straw for you was a windshield washer hose popped off?

Good luck with the Toyota - I'm here on this forum owning a Yukon XL with Duramax specifically because the Sequoia redesign is a complete disaster. All they had to do was stretch the cargo space a bit, update the interior and I would have bought one. Instead they botched the third row, didn't improve on the interior volume and put a solid axle under it, killing the comfort for those sitting in the third row.

OP
OP
S

Sadguy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have had quite a few more issues I never mentioned. This vehicle has been babied and has all hiway miles. I buy two Ford trucks every year for my farm and keep them till 6 years old. Haven’t had any troubles like the Yukon has. Guess maybe a Ford would be better than the new Toyota ? Thanks for your response, am just quite frustrated.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So…..let me get this straight…..

You joined this forum today just to tell a bunch of people you don’t know that you’re upset and are trading in your vehicle?

You said you buy 2 Ford trucks every year for your farm and keep them for 6 years? How many trucks do you have?

Good luck with your trade I guess.

OP
OP
S

Sadguy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The computer also kept putting up random codes that were supposedly malfunctioning. Occasionally it was correct about something. Every other week I have to disconnect the battery to reboot the computer. It takes a week or more to get an appoint ment for service. Had a mile limit on one code that lowered the maximum speed to 50mph before we could get it in. Know plenty of guys with the Dura max in their trucks without these issues.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think we should jump on the guy. He's sharing his experience, as do a lot of us. Nobody likes to hear that some of the things we spend a lot of money on, and have brand loyalty towards, are problematic. However, I see this as someone's experience, and their solutions.......or lack thereof from GM.

I don't blame @Sadguy for his frustration. These newer generation SUVs seem to be plagued with the repercussions of cost cutting and chinsy engineering to make shareholders dividend checks fatter.

Personally, I will probably never own the newest generation based on all the posts here. I applaud voting with your wallet to a different mfg that may suit you better. GM has no loyalty towards owners like they used to, so screw them if they can't stand behind their product.

OP
OP
S

Sadguy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We run fourteen pickup
s ,some light and some duality to big trailers. Also have seven tractor and semi trailers. This new stuff just does’t hold up quite as well.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the manifold was replaced, but somehow a brand new manifold was still cracked and you fixed it by welding it... OK.

I went back and reread that part of his post. The line "the dealer replaced it to no avail and told him they couldn’t fix it" doesn't make any sense. Did they replace it, or didn't they?

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont buy anything after the pandy. Nothing lasts anymore. You want reliable, you better keep your older stuff running...

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems suspect but good luck man. I'll be the first to post issues. As a Toyota loyalist and previous gm tech I'm hoping for these new rigs to show me the gm I know but alas has been problem free.

Much less problems then the gm junk I uses to work on. What's funny is the guys with older rigs chiming in saying they love the reliability of the old junk.

Funny how that works. Guessing they got them second hand or are telling stories thru rose colored glasses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts