ZW7 suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brandon2489

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to gmpartsgiant with your VIN plugged in this is the part numbers for the front and rear shocks and struts. You can also use gmpartsdirect and plug in your vin. I have noticed if I use gmpartsdirect and plug vin in it still shows me all options for other rpo codes other than mine. Gmpartsgiant seems to pull parts just for my vin.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210823-005416_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20210823-005416_Firefox.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20210823-005343_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20210823-005343_Firefox.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Brandon2489

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to gmpartsgiant with you VIN plugged in this is the part numbers for the front and rear shocks and struts.
Notice how this says from 2012 to 2014 also.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210823-005910_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20210823-005910_Firefox.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20210823-005837_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20210823-005837_Firefox.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 5

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I

I take that back the numbers for the front do fit the 2014. So does the 22811853. Any 8dea what the difference is?
The numbers I provided after looking them up with your VIN and RPOs are for GM Original Equipment grade parts. The number above also refers to 560-707 so more than likely it is either newer or older than the one I provided earlier. GM often changes part numbers when they switch vendors or make even slight improvements. I wouldn't over-think it, just look at Rock Auto, Amazon and Ebay and see who has the best availability and prices with those 3 part numbers. More than likely, one of those GM part numbers is right next to the ACDelco number on the shock box and sticker. Rock Auto has a 5% off code on this website somewhere.

Unlike generic shocks, GM went to great lengths to fine tune the ride depending on our vehicle's weight because of how its equipped with options. A lesser optioned truck would require different shock valving to offer the same ride as a heavier truck. Mine weighs 5900 pounds on the CAT Scales and have seen a few on here a little heavier and a bunch a bit lighter and all have different valving but all used the same springs.

Are you doing the work yourself or having someone do it?

OP
OP
J

Joseph Parker

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The numbers I provided after looking them up with your VIN and RPOs are for GM Original Equipment grade parts. The number above also refers to 560-707 so more than likely it is either newer or older than the one I provided earlier. GM often changes part numbers when they switch vendors or make even slight improvements. I wouldn't over-think it, just look at Rock Auto, Amazon and Ebay and see who has the best availability and prices with those 3 part numbers. More than likely, one of those GM part numbers is right next to the ACDelco number on the shock box and sticker. Rock Auto has a 5% off code on this website somewhere.

Unlike generic shocks, GM went to great lengths to fine tune the ride depending on our vehicle's weight because of how its equipped with options. A lesser optioned truck would require different shock valving to offer the same ride as a heavier truck. Mine weighs 5900 pounds on the CAT Scales and have seen a few on here a little heavier and a bunch a bit lighter and all have different valving but all used the same springs.

Are you doing the work yourself or having someone do it? That's kind of what I figured on the parts number change. Yes I am doing it myself.

OP
OP
J

Joseph Parker

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That's what I figured on the parts number change. Yes I am doing the work myself.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Negative no g65 code, but I did remove nivomat shocks from the rear when I bought the truck.
Huh. Well, I reckon that the previous owner may have put them on and they are not original to the truck.
That's what I figured on the parts number change. Yes I am doing the work myself.
What spring compressor will you be using? Are you going to replace anything else while it is apart? How many miles are on the truck?

OP
OP
J

Joseph Parker

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Huh. Well, I reckon that the previous owner may have put them on and they are not original to the truck.

What spring compressor will you be using? Are you going to replace anything else while it is apart? How many miles are on the truck?
145k on the truck. I was planning on having my local shop put the struts together for me and I would just do the install. I have not yet decided on what else I was going to replace. Wanted to square away the shock absorber numbers first because the first dealer quoted me over $1500 for the parts alone. That took a chunk out of my budget. With the confirmation of the new parts, I have more room ($) to replace more stuff.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
145k on the truck. I was planning on having my local shop put the struts together for me and I would just do the install. I have not yet decided on what else I was going to replace. Wanted to square away the shock absorber numbers first because the first dealer quoted me over $1500 for the parts alone. That took a chunk out of my budget. With the confirmation of the new parts, I have more room ($) to replace more stuff.
The upper and lower ball joints start to go at around this mileage. I had one start going bad much earlier (120K) and then changed them all out at 161K.

We used an OEM Tools MCPhereson Strut Spring Compressor 27036 and had to grind down the locking pins to fit our coils. I should have spent the extra $120 and picked up the clamshell type (K-Tool 70372). The Harbor Freight Ball Joint Separator 99849 also had to be extensively modified and ground down to get it to fit and we still cut off the tips of the ball joint threads to get it on there but it finally worked. I will pick up the proper GM tool for the other trucks as well (J-43631).

OP
OP
J

Joseph Parker

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The upper and lower ball joints start to go at around this mileage. I had one start going bad much earlier (120K) and then changed them all out at 161K.

We used an OEM Tools MCPhereson Strut Spring Compressor 27036 and had to grind down the locking pins to fit our coils. I should have spent the extra $120 and picked up the clamshell type (K-Tool 70372). The Harbor Freight Ball Joint Separator 99849 also had to be extensively modified and ground down to get it to fit and we still cut off the tips of the ball joint threads to get it on there but it finally worked. I will pick up the proper GM tool for the other trucks as well (J-43631).
I'll probably replace everything that I can afford. The truck is in pretty good shape and I plan on having it for a while. Also would prefer to not have to do it again. Thanks for the help and all the information

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne