Z71 Suburban Shock/Strut Replacement - Stock Height

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NOSOK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any product recommendations for a 2011 Z71 Suburban? The truck is at 160k and is probably overdue for at least struts and shocks. It seems to be crashing pretty hard over bumps lately. I want to maintain stock ride height (or very close to it) and a reasonably comfortable ride. I never approach anywhere near the capabilities of the truck offroad, so I could get away with a softer setup potentially (as long it doesn't compromise on road handling, e.g. more body roll).

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@NOSOK Bilsteins are good, I would recommend the Bilstein 4600 series if you don't plan on leaving pavement.

OP
OP
NOSOK

NOSOK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We'll leave pavement for camping trips but don't really go on anything rougher than I could with my old audi allroad with 7" of ground clearance. 4600 looks like a good option.

@NOSOK Bilsteins are good, I would recommend the Bilstein 4600 series if you don't plan on leaving pavement.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We'll leave pavement for camping trips but don't really go on anything rougher than I could with my old audi allroad with 7" of ground clearance. 4600 looks like a good option.

@NOSOK I have the 5100s that are paired with heavy duty springs so the ride is a stiff but I like it because I can take dips, bumps, train tracks, speed bumps without worrying about bottoming out. I would not recommend the 5100s for anyone wanting a soft ride. Do some research on the 4600 I hope you like them

OP
OP
NOSOK

NOSOK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@NOSOK I have the 5100s that are paired with heavy duty springs so the ride is a stiff but I like it because I can take dips, bumps, train tracks, speed bumps without worrying about bottoming out. I would not recommend the 5100s for anyone wanting a soft ride. Do some research on the 4600 I hope you like them
When you put it that way the 5100s might be more my style. Do you know what came stock on the Z71?

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@NOSOK I have no idea, the dealership service techs said Rancho but I don't think Tahoes came with factory Ranchos until the 4th generation.

OP
OP
NOSOK

NOSOK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@NOSOK I have no idea, the dealership service techs said Rancho but I don't think Tahoes came with factory Ranchos until the 4th generation.
This is what's on the truck now...based on the condition I'd say they're original. They don't look like any shock I'm familiar with, but from googling it seems they might be KYB.

mhoRQAJ.jpg

SlUeJzC.jpg

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any product recommendations for a 2011 Z71 Suburban? The truck is at 160k and is probably overdue for at least struts and shocks. It seems to be crashing pretty hard over bumps lately. I want to maintain stock ride height (or very close to it) and a reasonably comfortable ride. I never approach anywhere near the capabilities of the truck offroad, so I could get away with a softer setup potentially (as long it doesn't compromise on road handling, e.g. more body roll).
Z71 come with Rancho shocks and that is what you have under there. Give me a moment and I will post up all the parts we used to do ours. You can substitute my shocks and struts and my front and rear jounce bumpers (bump stops) in place of yours for a slightly softer ride.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1628448545201.png

Of course, you'll have to decide what is necessary now to replace and what brands to use. For the most part, these are all GM Original Equipment and some ACDelco Professional.

The part numbers for the struts and shocks include both GM and ACDelco part numbers, they are the same with both numbers listed on the box. The rear springs I could not get in OE anymore, had to settle for ACDelco professional but the list shows both part numbers.

You can read about our experiences doing all of this inlcluding the tools we used and torque specs over at my build page, "Useless Information".

I do not recommend buying a ready to install strut assembly, they are not tailored to your specific vehicle and do not last long. Replacing only the strut without changing the other parts does little for ride quality, don't skimp.

You can in the interest of economy and half the life, substitute the control arms with ACDelco Professional or Moog's CK series, they are identical and I have the part numbers for both if interested.

Most of the items were purchased at Rock Auto with the remainder coming from a few dealerships selling their wares on Ebay. There is a 5% coupon code on this forum for Rock Auto.

It's been two months since we finished the front and about 2 weeks since we completed the rear and will be taking new ride height measurements soon. The rear shocks and springs and jounce bumpers made a huge difference in ride quality, more so than the front on ours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157