Z71 Suburban Shock/Strut Replacement - Stock Height

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
NOSOK

NOSOK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you come to this number based on your 6XX and 7XX RPO codes?

I have not come across long term happy customers with the pre-assembled struts. They're very generic, not specific to a particular vehicle and use inferior parts.

Correct. I cross referenced the RPO codes on the ACDelco site. That's how I found the rear Z71 shock as well (540-630). Initially I said I wanted a softer ride, but now I'm just shooting for more or less factory Z71 ride quality. Although my inner 'cheapskate' won out and I skipped the springs, I reckon I should have ~80% of new truck ride quality (right now I'm probably at like 30%).

I spent almost 900 bucks which was a bit more than I expected. And I still need to source the rear jounce bumpers as carID didn't stock them - at least there doesn't seem to be any labor advantage installing them with the rest of the rear stuff.

I attached my order invoice for anyone who wants to reference against the 2011 Z71. A few of the P/Ns you posted seemed like they weren't valid for 2011+ so I had to find replacements.

And it's worth mentioning the carID military discount is one of the most inconvenient ones I've used - you have to chat with a sales rep and send them your individual P/Ns, unlike home depot where you can just flash a CAC and have it applied to your whole purchase. It's also not a flat 10% (more like 7% in my case) as it was not applicable on Moog.

Attachments

• carID.pdf
    234.1 KB · Views: 7

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct. I cross referenced the RPO codes on the ACDelco site. That's how I found the rear Z71 shock as well (540-630). Initially I said I wanted a softer ride, but now I'm just shooting for more or less factory Z71 ride quality. Although my inner 'cheapskate' won out and I skipped the springs, I reckon I should have ~80% of new truck ride quality (right now I'm probably at like 30%).

I spent almost 900 bucks which was a bit more than I expected. And I still need to source the rear jounce bumpers as carID didn't stock them - at least there doesn't seem to be any labor advantage installing them with the rest of the rear stuff.

I attached my order invoice for anyone who wants to reference against the 2011 Z71. A few of the P/Ns you posted seemed like they weren't valid for 2011+ so I had to find replacements.

And it's worth mentioning the carID military discount is one of the most inconvenient ones I've used - you have to chat with a sales rep and send them your individual P/Ns, unlike home depot where you can just flash a CAC and have it applied to your whole purchase. It's also not a flat 10% (more like 7% in my case) as it was not applicable on Moog.
Save for the shocks and some of the smaller parts, it appears that you went with ACDelco Professional and the lower end of Moog's parts line. Research suggests that the ACDelco and the Moog CK series lasts about 80-100K miles. The Moog RK stuff lasts about half that. This is not a knock, every man has his own reasons, just mentioning this again for those who come along later. If I'm still around when my stuff wears out, I'll post about how long it lasted and hope that you do too.

As for the springs, does your truck sit about three inches higher in the rear? My rear springs went kinda fast and didn't notice it until our last tow.

The photo with the nose facing the right was taken in August '18 (129K) and the photo with the nose facing the left was taken September '20 (157K). The difference up front is even apparent.

IMG_0981.JPGPlant Bamboo - 20200922 - 06.jpeg.

OP
OP
NOSOK

NOSOK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Save for the shocks and some of the smaller parts, it appears that you went with ACDelco Professional and the lower end of Moog's parts line. Research suggests that the ACDelco and the Moog CK series lasts about 80-100K miles. The Moog RK stuff lasts about half that. This is not a knock, every man has his own reasons, just mentioning this again for those who come along later. If I'm still around when my stuff wears out, I'll post about how long it lasted and hope that you do too.

As for the springs, does your truck sit about three inches higher in the rear? My rear springs went kinda fast and didn't notice it until our last tow.

The photo with the nose facing the right was taken in August '18 (129K) and the photo with the nose facing the left was taken September '20 (157K). The difference up front is even apparent.

I'll have to check on the height next time I'm in a parking lot. My driveway is rather steep and when I'm backed in, the rear is several inches higher.

The control arms I got were half the price of genuine GM and even if they only last 50k miles, I'm perfectly fine with that. I'm not planning to keep the truck long term (maybe 2-3 yrs more max), so it didn't really make sense to replace the entire steering/suspension + use OEM parts for everything. I just hope skipping the the springs now doesn't come back to bite me in a year (they look good, so I don't think they will, but you never know).

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll have to check on the height next time I'm in a parking lot. My driveway is rather steep and when I'm backed in, the rear is several inches higher.

The control arms I got were half the price of genuine GM and even if they only last 50k miles, I'm perfectly fine with that. I'm not planning to keep the truck long term (maybe 2-3 yrs more max), so it didn't really make sense to replace the entire steering/suspension + use OEM parts for everything. I just hope skipping the the springs now doesn't come back to bite me in a year (they look good, so I don't think they will, but you never know).
I'm grateful that we have options in choosing parts! Ever been up to Imogene Pass? I'd like to take our trucks up there someday. Stock, I have as much or more ground clearance as most of the usual vehicles that I see on youtube going up there but would probably install my leveling spacers and run a 1 inch taller tire and pull my front valance as even then it won't have the approach angles of your Z71!

More rain and thunder and lightning so no ride height measurements today!

OP
OP
NOSOK

NOSOK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm grateful that we have options in choosing parts! Ever been up to Imogene Pass? I'd like to take our trucks up there someday. Stock, I have as much or more ground clearance as most of the usual vehicles that I see on youtube going up there but would probably install my leveling spacers and run a 1 inch taller tire and pull my front valance as even then it won't have the approach angles of your Z71!

I have not done Imogene but it's on my list. Next time we're in the area I'll try to convince my wife to give it a go. It's a 6hr drive one way from us right now so realistically we'd need to make it at least a 4-5+ day road trip so we're not in the truck the majority of our waking hours each day. From what I've seen on youtube it's not super technical - people have done it in stock subarus.

Actually the only non-paved pass I've been up was Jones pass in a friend's Z71 Colorado a few years ago. I've been meaning to go back there. Beautiful drive and only an hour from Denver.

3QGGN3x.jpg

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Highly recommended. It's been probably 20 years since I did Imogene Pass in my '87 Bronco II with full OE skid plates and the little 2.9L V6 stick. You'll do fine if not much has changed with the terrain, and it's a hoot to drive. Just plan on starting from the Telluride side; they don't recommend starting from the Camp Bird side. I'll have to see if I have any pics of the drive. We stayed a few nights in Ouray (say "yur RAY" but fast).

EDIT: you'll want to do Imogene in the mid-to-late summer. The pass is over 13,000 ft. AMSL and the winter snow can linger. The Telluride side has a nice southern exposure but the rest of it heads north and there are some trees as you get below treeline (duh).

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not done Imogene but it's on my list. Next time we're in the area I'll try to convince my wife to give it a go. It's a 6hr drive one way from us right now so realistically we'd need to make it at least a 4-5+ day road trip so we're not in the truck the majority of our waking hours each day. From what I've seen on youtube it's not super technical - people have done it in stock subarus.

Actually the only non-paved pass I've been up was Jones pass in a friend's Z71 Colorado a few years ago. I've been meaning to go back there. Beautiful drive and only an hour from Denver.
3QGGN3x.jpg
That is gorgeous too!
Highly recommended. It's been probably 20 years since I did Imogene Pass in my '87 Bronco II with full OE skid plates and the little 2.9L V6 stick. You'll do fine if not much has changed with the terrain, and it's a hoot to drive. Just plan on starting from the Telluride side; they don't recommend starting from the Camp Bird side. I'll have to see if I have any pics of the drive. We stayed a few nights in Ouray (say "yur RAY" but fast).

EDIT: you'll want to do Imogene in the mid-to-late summer. The pass is over 13,000 ft. AMSL and the winter snow can linger. The Telluride side has a nice southern exposure but the rest of it heads north and there are some trees as you get below treeline (duh).
Thanks for that, now we have the benefit of people posting their trips on youtube and such so we can get an idea of their condition before we go.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You'll want to plan a day for Black Bear, too, while you're in the area. East to West, down into Telluride through a bunch of switchbacks. I've not done it yet but would love to take my Hoe on that one soon.

OP
OP
NOSOK

NOSOK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You want the 5100's with the lift....

Ranchos ride like ZHIT.....
I didn't want to lift as 99% of my driving is on pavement and better handling from a lower CoG is desirable. However I got the rest of my suspension parts in today (in a completely destroyed shipping box, but at least nothing is damaged/missing) and just from looking at them and dry fitting some parts, I wish I went Bilstein with a slight lift.

Front suspension travel is a disappointing ~4" total, and it seems there's at most 1.5" of travel before the bump stops will be engaged. And the bump stops are extremely firm. Granted, a few tons of steel will compress them easier than my hands, but I think I'm going to either cut these down a bit or find softer ones.

e0ZQZAZ.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
16yukon