Z71: From lowered to stock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
@91RS @massivespl Thanks It does look great but it doesn't ride well, whatever they put in the rear feels clapped out. In my town there are a lot of dips and bumps and I want to avoid bottoming out my rig, I want good wheel travel so I can mob around without worrying about hitting a dip too hard. I got the Z71 offroad package for a reason but It might as well be a escalade at this point. I am hoping that with the lift the bilstein 5100 offers in the front will let me level the front without hurting the ride too much.

Depending on the rear drop it may need the free travel mod to keep it from bottoming out. That is where you cut the whole bump stop bracket off the frame rail.

Also as @91RS mentioned the shocks could be the issue. If they are too long and bottoming out it will ride like crap.

You could get some shorter shocks or get the lower shock relocation brackets to regain the travel.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There’s no way it needs the free travel mod only lowered 2” to match the front. Mine is lowered 3” in the rear and doesn’t need it.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
There’s no way it needs the free travel mod only lowered 2” to match the front. Mine is lowered 3” in the rear and doesn’t need it.

I agree... just throwing that out there because it can be overlooked by the uninitiated.

Also I wasn't sure if the Z71s had bigger bump stops, although that would be very unlikely.

It's not often you see Z71s lowered... usually they go the other direction.

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree... just throwing that out there because it can be overlooked by the uninitiated.

Also I wasn't sure if the Z71s had bigger bump stops, although that would be very unlikely.

It's not often you see Z71s lowered... usually they go the other direction.
That's my goal, to get it back to stock. I'm putting together a parts list and I'm trying to figure out what parts have been replaced to make it lower so I can buy new parts to make it stock again, might just have the dealership check it out when I have the money.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can post pictures of the suspension (turn the wheels to full lock and you can get some good pictures of the front without even having to lift the truck), there's a really good possibility we can tell you what all is aftermarket. I've rebuilt almost the entire suspension on both of my trucks, lowered both, and I've been working on these since they came out in 2006 so I know what everything is supposed to look like.

Keanen55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may need to trim the bump stop if your kit did not provide new 1s for the drop!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RanchoTexas