Z55 Oem replacement done- still rough ride?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Hey guys,

On my 2011 Yukon Denali -i just wrapped up replacing my z55 front struts, (entire coilover assembly,all parts including springs) as well as my rear shocks last summer. Front is oem ac delco/gm, rear was the Arnott rebuild ones. Confirming this is not a passive conversion but a full z55 replacement of all 4 corners.

I’ve had the front end parts all replaced as well (bushings, end links, inner/outer tie rods, control arms, ball joints.. etc) and upgraded to Eibach sway bars.

I’m not throwing any codes , compressor runs and turns on with no issues that I can see, but the ride is still for shit imo. I’m the original owner and absolutely know what it’s supposed to feel like but I’m baffled here lol..

All 4 tires all new as well. The only thing I can possibly think of is the garage that handled the install of the front ac delco 580-434/ GM# 19300039 the part# has changed over the years ) coilover struts, may not have recalibrated the suspension system in the ecm? I’m going to have it hooked up tomorrow and checked with tech 2.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?
You need to get the air ride suspension read by a GM Tech 2 scan tool. Not all scan tools can read suspension codes.
Several years ago my SUV rode rough (hard) and that's after replacing all the parts with OEM components. In my case, the steering angle position sensor was the cause. When the steering position sensor malfunctions it causes the shocks to tighten up. Good luck

CharlieBrown6

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You need to get the air ride suspension read by a GM Tech 2 scan tool. Not all scan tools can read suspension codes.
Several years ago my SUV rode rough (hard) and that's after replacing all the parts with OEM components. In my case, the steering angle position sensor was the cause. When the steering position sensor malfunctions it causes the shocks to tighten up. Good luck
When your steering position sensor malfunctioned did it throw a code? Our 2011 Denali has been riding rough for awhile and I'm starting to wonder if this might be the case.. I do have a tech2 scanner, how can I check this?

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
When your steering position sensor malfunctioned did it throw a code? Our 2011 Denali has been riding rough for awhile and I'm starting to wonder if this might be the case.. I do have a tech2 scanner, how can I check this?
No, the only thing I got was service stability or something like that on the DIC. Once I connected the Tech2 I read the code. I don't remember under what function It was under though.

@CharlieBrown6
Update, I read the code under the ESC screens.

Last edited:

S1W99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you find a solution? I have a 2012 LT with new Mevotech kit, Acdelco OE struts 4600 Bilstein rear shocks. Ride is OK but not soft or comfortable. No roll and stiffer but still harsh over slower bumps in there neighborhood.

Thanks

S1W99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you figure out what was causing the rough ride

OP
OP
Denaliz

Denaliz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes- somehow my new front left strut locked up? It was pretty quick For that to happen.

Ended up having the new coilover assembly removed and new ac delco strut installed. Ac delco did warranty out the strut but I still had to pay for a shop to remove and install.

OP
OP
Denaliz

Denaliz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I’m truly baffled here on this a year later. On my Z55 suspension-I had 3x front struts lockup after replacing both coil over struts and assemblies last year.

I used the same oem GM ACDelco #580-434- there was no conversion of anything.

1st/1 of them locked up shortly after the install and I assumed it was just bad luck. Did a warranty exchange and went down the road.

Fast forward a year later -My suspensions been riding rough again and I don’t drive this thing daily either. The shop I had look at the suspension, confirm if the alc trim reset needed to be done, check height sensors and control modules.

Called me next day and said both front struts locked up. This is absolutely insane to me to happen again only 12 months or so later.

The entire coilover assembly was replaced with oem gm parts excluding the strut mount which I ordered thru amazon for 22 bucks each. They’re just stamped metal to my eye and they matched up perfectly so I thought shouldn’t be an issue?

I decided to go ahead and bite the bullet and by new oem acdelco ones for 100 each to remove any doubt of an inferior aftermarket strut mount causing issues this time.

My question after the brief ramble is has anyone heard of Z55 front struts locking up so soon after an oem replacement?

I couldn’t find anything online but I’m beyond puzzled to what’s going on here

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I’m truly baffled here on this a year later. On my Z55 suspension-I had 3x front struts lockup after replacing both coil over struts and assemblies last year.

I used the same oem GM ACDelco #580-434- there was no conversion of anything.

1st/1 of them locked up shortly after the install and I assumed it was just bad luck. Did a warranty exchange and went down the road.

Fast forward a year later -My suspensions been riding rough again and I don’t drive this thing daily either. The shop I had look at the suspension, confirm if the alc trim reset needed to be done, check height sensors and control modules.

Called me next day and said both front struts locked up. This is absolutely insane to me to happen again only 12 months or so later.

The entire coilover assembly was replaced with oem gm parts excluding the strut mount which I ordered thru amazon for 22 bucks each. They’re just stamped metal to my eye and they matched up perfectly so I thought shouldn’t be an issue?

I decided to go ahead and bite the bullet and by new oem acdelco ones for 100 each to remove any doubt of an inferior aftermarket strut mount causing issues this time.

My question after the brief ramble is has anyone heard of Z55 front struts locking up so soon after an oem replacement?

I couldn’t find anything online but I’m beyond puzzled to what’s going on here
First I've heard of this and I've been around here a while. Both of my rigs are still rolling on the originals up front. My 2007 has 227K on it and my 2012 has 132K. I can't imagine that the mount would be a factor, but the shocks are pretty sophisticated components, so it may be.

OP
OP
Denaliz

Denaliz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here- I bought my Denali new over Thanksgiving 2010. I just can’t figure out what it could be so eliminating the cheap amazon strut mount since I’ll be having both oem acdelco struts replaced.

No codes are being thrown but I kind of want to have the escm tested maybe?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17